All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Mushroom Finds

I almost forgot the bonus find on the way out. My cousin walked right over it on a deer path. This thing was in mint condition. Never found one that looked so fresh.

image.jpg

I got rained out instead of being able to go hunt shrooms one last time. I'm afraid what I find next weekend will be nasty. :(

I have never seen a Morel Mushroom on our land in my life. My dad says he has only ever found 2 in 55 years. I can only imagine how good they taste!

while unlocking the gate on my way out of the property tonight I saw a nice hen or chicken of the woods, not as orange as ones I have found in the past but nice size, about 20 inches long.

4e65d71e-1524-4ba1-a2b7-895bedd68d03_zps2f81b583.jpg

I wonder if it isn't past it's prime and starting to dry up?

I didn't touch it to see, had no clue how to harvest, or prepare , so I left it alone. seems like ya just slice off the tender ends of the growth, saute em up with butter n garlic, or olive oil, and enjoy. It is a definite will try someday item. Heavy rains coming in tonight so it will get another growth burst this week.

I never had them either. I just got interested in growing beyond morels this year. When the bug-pocalypse hit, I opted to stay home vs getting sweaty, eaten up, and covered in ticks. I did see my first chicken while spraying the jungle for my new plot. Wouldn't you know it I swung the wand over it before I realized they were there? Kinda ticked at myself for that, but I was cooking and wanted to get done with that plot.