2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

N-I-C-E list of apples Matt !! You have many bases covered with that list.
I can't imagine digging holes in all that sand. Here in Pa., it's rocks and shale and clayish, loamy, heavier soil. That cow manure looks like good stuff and should give the trees a jump-start.

Here is the documented list of up and comer tree's in my nursery. This is a mix of 1 and 2 year old trees that will get another year of pampering at home.

Scion
Centurion Crabapple
Cherry Bomb Crab
Chestnut Crab
Dolgo Crab
Dolgo Crab
Enterprise
Freedom
Hewes Crab
Hewes Crab
Hidden Rose
Kerr
Kerr
Liberty
Liberty
Northwest Greening
Northwest Greening
Prairie Spy
Priscilla
Pristine
Pristine
Red Honker Crab
SnowSweet
Terry Winter
Violi's Hanging Crab
Violi's Hanging Crab
Violi's Hanging Crab
Whitney Crab
Williams Pride
Wolf River
Wolf River

Whats the red honker & cherry bomb crabs? Also, hidden rose, you ever get a scion off that consider me 1st in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a list like that, you must have a good system for keeping track of the varieties. You've probably mentioned before but, what do you use to tag them and or keep them straight?

Whats the red honker & cherry bomb crabs? Also, hidden rose, you ever get a scion off that consider me 1st in line.

I have a yellow honker crab too but not sure why it's not on list. The honker crabs are from Honker on this forum. The red he has posted pics of from his property, from what I recall it's a bigger crab that hangs a long time and has good disease resistance. The yellow I think is marble sized with yellow fruit.

Cherry bomb is a crab I found near my house, the fruit looks like a cherry. If you look at the monster crab thread, there is a link to a pic of the monster crab fruit, in that same link / post there is a pic of the cherry bomb crab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a list like that, you must have a good system for keeping track of the varieties. You've probably mentioned before but, what do you use to tag them and or keep them straight?

I use engraved stainless steel tags and an excel spreadsheet. I think there are pics of the tags in my CrazyED beach sand thread. It's tough because I graft a bunch of trees, some don't make it, my Nursery is very full so accurate inventory is difficult. Just looking at this list I know a bunch of stuff is missing.

Here is another list of stuff I have in my nursery lol.

Centennial
Centennial
Chestnut Crab
Court Pendu Plat
Dutchess of Oldenburg
Enterprise
Fireside
Fireside
Fireside
Freedom
Freedom
Frostbite
Harvest Gold
Jonathan
Keepsake
Keepsake
Kerr
Kerr
Liberty
NY Bonkers
NY Bonkers/Galarina
Prairie Spy
Pristine
Scarlett Surprise
Scarlett Surprise
Spartan
Westfield Seek No Further
Westfield Seek No Further

Once i dig everything that is getting planted at the farm this year, I will be re-planting everything in the nursery as well as taking a new inventory.

Cherry Bomb Crab

IMG_3608.JPG

Williamette shipped my rootstocks yesterday, they will be here friday. I ordered 3 more yards of 50% topsoil / 50% mushroom mix compost for my nursery expansion.

CameraZOOM-20160321185339247.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160321185346214.jpg

As always, impressive!

Matt - That looks REAL good !! That mix of soil & compost should kick some butt growing your trees.

Matt - That looks REAL good !! That mix of soil & compost should kick some butt growing your trees.

Look what it did for the trees on the other side. I sure hope my grafts do that well in my setup this year.

Everything looks awesome! I'd wish you good luck with you're orchard, but you don't need luck with the hard work you put into it. Thanks for the ideas too, I'm planning on doing away with mulch and going with pea gravel now.

Last edited:
Matt what varieties really jump out at you as far as really vigorous (I assume mostly crab varieties), what stuck as slow but still growing?

My Florina and Galarina are by far the largest and most vigorous in my nursery right now. Sherry really went nuts too.

Wow check out this old pick from SLN showing all the freshly grafted trees in the background!

shortviewcallus.GIF

Matt what varieties really jump out at you as far as really vigorous (I assume mostly crab varieties), what stuck as slow but still growing?

Has kerr crab been a slow grower for you guys, like for me?

Whitney and kindercrisp were my fastest growers last year.

Has kerr crab been a slow grower for you guys, like for me?

Whitney and kindercrisp were my fastest growers last year.

For me I would say Kerr has been average. Last year i let one of my Kerr put out way too much fruit which really slowed the growth down. This year i'm going to remove 70%.