“Slay” for lawn? Stupid question

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
So we attempted to get the lawn going this year after purchasing. 127 yards of topsoil later and it was leveled to an acceptable grade. I take it that the topsoil was loaded with weed seed bc I have more broadleaf weeds growing then grass. To the point where pulling them would take weeks. Would slay or similar work for such an issue? I’ve used it on plots and it does the job but not sure about the lawn. Stupid question I know but I’m getting to the point where I’m tempted to kill it all and burn it.

I had problems with fresh dirt on our new lawn a couple of yrs ago. Lots of Johnson Grass, Crabgrass, thistles, etc. I ended up nuking it with gly all summer and doing a fall planting for the grass. Turned out really nice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Slay aka imazethapyr is for killing select broadleaf weeds out of legumes. 2-4,d will kill broadleaf and leave grasses. That’s probably what you want and it will be a good bit cheaper.

Edit- if you have a bunch of junk grasses too, then kill it all and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Called a few places for the 2,4-d. No chance I’m getting it in NJ I suppose. I was told they aren’t permitted to carry it by law. 4 different places. Soooo what other options do I have

Check Home Depot. Don't ask for 2,4-D. Spectracide's weed and crab grass killer. The store close to me in Vineland NJ has 30 40oz concentrate jugs in stock.
It's 2,4-D when you read the label.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
Around by me good top soil/black dirt is scooped from former cow pastures and full of weed seed. I would recommend nuking with gly several times over the rest of summer and then planting in the fall when cooler temps and fall rains return. Fall is the best time to plant grass from my experience.

It must be a state thing. Bc tractor supply one state over has it for sale. I suppose I’ll try the Home Depot stuff. And worst case it doesn’t work I’ll make the drive and pick it up.

Around by me good top soil/black dirt is scooped from former cow pastures and full of weed seed. I would recommend nuking with gly several times over the rest of summer and then planting in the fall when cooler temps and fall rains return. Fall is the best time to plant grass from my experience.

I’ve had success in the spring but not this year. I was hoping to avoid having to turn it over. Not sure what kind of success I’d have if it killed it back and then seeded over the top

Tremmic is a brand I've had good luck with but never works 100%... jug looks like generic gly except a yellow cap.

2 years ago I had a annoying really talkitive customer on phone. While on the phone I noticed 2 dandelion taunting me so I filled the quad sprayer and sprayed 2 acres of lawn while on the phone. Finish up and go to run some clean water through tank.. yep soon as I opened it is smell gly!!! At this point i hung up on customer to cuss. Needless to say those 2 dandelions where dead, along with my lawn. A grand worth of Kentucky blue grass seed and fertilizer later I over seeded then thatched. Came in amazing. Embarrassing but worked well.

So if I was you- I'd plant a annual rye (gulf rye grass??). Nuke it early fall along with whatever weeds grow then plant good grass seed in the thatch. The dew of fall mornings and a little dead thatch will really help a lawn start out good

I’ve had success in the spring but not this year. I was hoping to avoid having to turn it over. Not sure what kind of success I’d have if it killed it back and then seeded over the top

FYI, I was at lowes in cape may yesterday and thought of this thread. Check out ortho weed-b-gone.
Concentrate 2,4-D on the shelf.

I drenched the lawn yesterday so I can start over in the fall. We will see what it does