My “Happy Accident” plot!

What peas did you plant in with the rye? Austrian winter peas - or something else?

What peas did you plant in with the rye? Austrian winter peas - or something else?
I’m correcting my earlier post! I bought four bags of Survivor peas from Welter’s and two bags of Austrian’s from the local dealer. Think the Survivors’s were starting to bloom, purple flowers. I suspect the Survivor’s were the ones that did better for me but I didn’t keep good enough records of what I did. It’s also possible that I mixed them up. Kinda sounds like something I would do, lol!

Last edited:
Austrian also have purple flowers. I have used icicle in the past and they have white flowers.

I’m correcting my earlier post! I bought four bags of Survivor peas from Welter’s and two bags of Austrian’s from the local dealer. Think the Survivors’s were starting to bloom, purple flowers. I suspect the Survivor’s were the ones that did better for me but I didn’t keep good enough records of what I did. It’s also possible that I mixed them up. Kinda sounds like something I would do, lol!
Thanks for that info. Had to laugh ..... I mix things too sometimes - even when that wasn't my intention! Good looking plot.

Austrian also have purple flowers. I have used icicle in the past and they have white flowers.
What zone are you in? Did they over winter?

I might do that again- I just worry that they are going to winter kill, but I guess the rye will take up the slack if it does.

Zone 4, and yes they came back in the spring. If you plant them with an awnless winter grain it is a dynamite mid summer food source. They will eat every pod and every grain heat within a couple off week of maturing.

Zone 4, and yes they came back in the spring. If you plant them with an awnless winter grain it is a dynamite mid summer food source. They will eat every pod and every grain heat within a couple off week of maturing.
Austrian winter peas will come back in the spring? What would be your recommended awnless winter grain?? Learning here ..........

Austrian winter peas will come back in the spring? What would be your recommended awnless winter grain?? Learning here ..........
I like 6 row winter barley because it gets half as tall as rye, the deer eat all of the seed heads mid summer, so If you are planting into it you don't have to worry about a crazy amount of volunteer seed germinating. Because it is short I would say you want a good 150 #/acre. When I used it, I did not seed heavy enough and there were more weeds growing in it than I prefer.

The winter peas crawl right up it so the vines aren't sprawled all over the ground. I would imagine because of that fact the pods produce a heavier and healthier crop with the added airflow.