Yellow Sweet Blossom Clover

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
Anyone try this? I am in SE Ohio and am considering using this in a mix with Crimson Clover this Spring as a soil builder/Nitrogen fixer. I can sometimes get some of the Crimson to come back an extra year, so I might be able to get 2 years out of this mix. Thanks for any input on this type of Clover.

VV

I just got my first big attempt at yellow sweet in the ground last summer. It's mixed with rye and hairy vetch and a bunch of other lesser species, but those are the big 3. I hope to see the big yellow jungle this summer. I want this to be fawn cover in the summer and road screen in the fall.

Skip to the 1:13 mark to see it up close.

I just got my first big attempt at yellow sweet in the ground last summer. It's mixed with rye and hairy vetch and a bunch of other lesser species, but those are the big 3. I hope to see the big yellow jungle this summer. I want this to be fawn cover in the summer and road screen in the fall.

Skip to the 1:13 mark to see it up close.

Did you disk the ground before you planted or just kill and broadcast?

Did you disk the ground before you planted or just kill and broadcast?

I did the full blown kill everything prep. Mowed for two months to burn up residue, then sprayed, then paid the neighbor to come over with the tiller and grind it all up. I suffer with quack grass.

I also spread lime and gypsum before tilling.

A few years ago I frost seeded some. The plants grew huge. This pic is from June. I mowed it before it set seed.
20190618_093552.jpg

I bought a couple of pounds of this to mix into my frost seeding mix this spring. The local coop lady mentioned the pollinator angle.

Then I did a little online research of my own, and it turns out it’s on the DNR Invasive Species List for Wisconsin.

What gives? Over classification? Or is it actually invasive?

I bought a couple of pounds of this to mix into my frost seeding mix this spring. The local coop lady mentioned the pollinator angle.

Then I did a little online research of my own, and it turns out it’s on the DNR Invasive Species List for Wisconsin.

What gives? Over classification? Or is it actually invasive?

There’s plenty of good habitat plants on the invasive list. Whether or not something is depends on where that plant is and who you’re asking.

It’s kind of the same phenomenon of the state bitching that there are too many deer getting hit on the road, yet they insist on food plotting every inch of road ditch after construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I was figuring SD. Thanks!

My wife is really fired up about me planting this. Normally, she couldn’t care less what’s out there but when I told her about the pollinator angle, it’s all she can talk about.

That’s what I was figuring SD. Thanks!

My wife is really fired up about me planting this. Normally, she couldn’t care less what’s out there but when I told her about the pollinator angle, it’s all she can talk about.

The invasives make great habitat partners if you can figure out how to use it to your advantage. I used to see yellow sweet clover pop up in the Dakota prairies, and it was something to see.

The only one I can’t find a good thing to say about so far in my world is sedge grass.

I've used sweet clover three times and never had an invasive problem. Some replanted close by but, never was aggressive.

I will use it again as my bees loved it, it was a great smother crop and was very easy to grow.

Great info from everyone, thanks!

If you mow yellow blossom sweet clover a time or two during the summer, will it keep growing back - or does that kill it?? Anyone mow it a couple times during the summer?? Do deer eat it??

Consider the source here (ie never tried it yet) but what I read is that it has stiff, tall, hollow stems and isn’t known as GREAT deer food. I’m trying it anyway 😂 and it’s getting mowed once or twice no matter what.

If you mow yellow blossom sweet clover a time or two during the summer, will it keep growing back - or does that kill it?? Anyone mow it a couple times during the summer?? Do deer eat it??
My experience is still limited too, but what came up last fall got eaten to the ground. That first year forage isn't the stemmy sage brush looking thing I've been posting pics and videos of. It looks more like alfalfa in that emergence year.

A neighbor down the road from my place has a bunch of yellow sweet clover in a CRP field. I don't know if he planted it or if it was in the seed bank, but it adds some vertical structure to the field and seems to be pretty attractive to both deer and pheasants.

I wouldn't add to an area you plan on hunting over though unless you can mow it. The stuff gets pretty tall and will deflect arrows and bullets. I once got creative with a full season kale that I thought would be the missing link in my food plots and pumpkin patch planting. The stuff kept right on growing as advertised, but it grew so damn tall it was practically a visual screen. Not exactly what I envisioned when I planted it around my best stand location.

My experience is still limited too, but what came up last fall got eaten to the ground. That first year forage isn't the stemmy sage brush looking thing I've been posting pics and videos of. It looks more like alfalfa in that emergence year.
I called Welter's in Iowa & asked them about yellow blossom sweet clover. They said like you ^ ^ ^ that the first year it looks like a good food plot crop - but the second year it looks pretty "dismal" as it gets brushy-looking. They said it's great for green manure / nitrogen fixer though , and for attracting pollinating insects. Welter's said any of the red and white clovers are much better for food plots for wildlife. FWIW.

I called Welter's in Iowa & asked them about yellow blossom sweet clover. They said like you ^ ^ ^ that the first year it looks like a good food plot crop - but the second year it looks pretty "dismal" as it gets brushy-looking. They said it's great for green manure / nitrogen fixer though , and for attracting pollinating insects. Welter's said any of the red and white clovers are much better for food plots for wildlife. FWIW.

I want it to be brushy and undesirable. I need road screen where I planted mine.

I saw no evidence that deer ate it, but I had white, red, and crimson clover all growing with it, and alfalfa too, so I'm sure it was down their preference list a ways.

Maybe it keeps growing if you cut it while it's young, but I cut it when it was fully flowered and it didn't come back.

Thanks for the yellow blossom sweet clover info, gentlemen!! 👍

When do you plant sweet clover?

Spring? Fall?

Thanks

bill