Yard Shed Blind

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone here ever made a blind from a plastic resin yard shed?

My BIL is looking at a Suncast brand 7x7 yard shed for a hunting blind. He wants to put it up on a platform about 6 feet high and make some sliding windows for shooting out of.

Good idea or crazy idea?

My BIL is looking at a Suncast brand 7x7 yard shed for a hunting blind. He wants to put it up on a platform about 6 feet high and make some sliding windows for shooting out of.

Good idea or crazy idea?
I dont see why not.....if that is what is affordable. Whatever floats your boat. I got a friend that put a port-a-potty on an elevated blind......and he has taken some nice bucks out of that blind.

I keep a metal folding chair near two of our blinds....and tell my family members that if they feel they have a good spot to sit......take that chair and try it out if you think it's a good location. Nobody ever does that....cause we like sitting in warm blinds...lol. We're all getting soft.

As long as you can make it mouse proof. there was a plastic one on my farm when I bought the place (insulated). I tried everything to keep the mice out. Sat in it one day and killed about 11 0f them. Smell was horrible, I got out. enjoyed knocking that thing over.

As long as you can make it mouse proof. there was a plastic one on my farm when I bought the place (insulated). I tried everything to keep the mice out. Sat in it one day and killed about 11 0f them. Smell was horrible, I got out. enjoyed knocking that thing over.
I've got a couple of blinds that I've had trouble keeping the mice out too. When they get into those Buddy heaters and build a nest.....that is really a bad scene. Recently I am trying those "fresh tractor cab" mouse repellants in our blinds. The oder keeps mice away. I have not noticed that the deer have paid any attention to them ....according to my game cameras. I will know in a few weeks how they worked. So far I am impressed with them......but it is early.

I don't have problems with mice but how can I keep the damn yellow jackets from building nests in blinds. I'd rather keep them out than kick them out. Hate them damn things.

I don't have problems with mice but how can I keep the damn yellow jackets from building nests in blinds. I'd rather keep them out than kick them out. Hate them damn things.
No Pest Strips?

I spray he inside of my blinds with permithrin in the spring. Lots of dead bugs after the summer but not many alive ones...

Good idea or crazy idea?
I think he'd be way better off spending a few more dollars on an actual blind with all the windows he'll need. Those yard sheds are garbage and aren't set up for hunting.

I spray he inside of my blinds with permithrin in the spring. Lots of dead bugs after the summer but not many alive ones...
Do you use permithrin from a spray can or do mix your own?

I am always leery of using poisons because I don't want dead critters decaying in the walls of my house. I have always had mice in my house, I have flashed every spot I can find where they might gain entry. So every fall I set 10 snap traps with peanut butter and as I catch them I toss them and I am good for the winter. 2 years ago I had a rat.... I mean a big freaking rat (I will try to dig up the video) so a friend led me to this stuff below and I haven't looked back. All my snap traps are empty this year so I am leaning towards problem solved but not confirmed. This stuff works through dehydrating them while poisoning them so they leave to seek an ample water supply and although I was skeptical I don't have any dead critters stinking up my basement and no mice in my snap traps yet this year but it is early and time will tell.

I mix my own.
Good Idea! I never thought about spraying my blinds with peermatrin.......I am going to do that next year. Would likely help with any wasps under the blinds too.....which can be an issue some years. I've been doing a bit more in the area of "preventive" pest control in recent times. It's worth the time and minimal expense. Those mouse "pouches" have gotten pretty low cost and seem to keep mice out of our blinds so far. Kinda liking what I seen to this point. They have not had any impact on deer around my blinds....as far as I can tell. They have something of an outdoor "pine odor".....so I dont think it will make a big difference. (?). Maybe I'm hoping.

I am always leery of using poisons because I don't want dead critters decaying in the walls of my house. I have always had mice in my house, I have flashed every spot I can find where they might gain entry. So every fall I set 10 snap traps with peanut butter and as I catch them I toss them and I am good for the winter. 2 years ago I had a rat.... I mean a big freaking rat (I will try to dig up the video) so a friend led me to this stuff below and I haven't looked back. All my snap traps are empty this year so I am leaning towards problem solved but not confirmed. This stuff works through dehydrating them while poisoning them so they leave to seek an ample water supply and although I was skeptical I don't have any dead critters stinking up my basement and no mice in my snap traps yet this year but it is early and time will tell.

I've got a better solution than those packs and it uses the same bait. Google "PVC bait station" and you can make them for a few bucks and put them outside. The critters can't haul the bait away and stash it somewhere for future death. I've tried D-Con and bucket traps and the PVC stations work best and you don't have to invite the critters inside you building to exterminate them.

I have used poison in a bait station under that old blind before. it helped. I don't think it phased the deer.

My dad used to climb 30, 40 feet up in trees and build shooting houses/stands. Had one that was WAY up in the crotch of a big old water oak; you had to climb up and come in through a trap door in the floor. Opening day one year, I flipped that door up to find two fledgling barn owls looking me in the face and about 4 inches of owl shyt/pellets covering the floor. One of the windows had blown open at some point, and they'd taken up residence. Thankfully Mom & Dad were not home at the time.

Do you need to make a stealth blind? Worried other may consider it a good spot to poach, r they neighbors complain about your hunting?

I am building a wood pile blind at my house. The neighbors keep their space and have their contractor hunt on ther 40 or so acres. MY mother-in-law lives next door and gets grumpy when I rifle hunt.

I'd redinforce the widows with wood, if putting in windows. Also reinforce the roof, they commonly cave in from snow. You also need an indoor latch of some sort.

I'd use a jig saw. My makita jig saw has adjustable bite, the saw angle forward into the cut. Leave it straight up n down and use a metal cutting blade.

We're going to reinforce the corners and the cut out for the windows.