Would this plan work?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
I think this will work but wanted to get some other opinions. I am thinking of planting antonovka, crab Apple and urrsian pear trees, then grafting various Apple and pear onto the respective trees after they are established.

I realize these will be full sized trees but would think the crabs would be smaller when full sized and would behave more like a dwarf rootstock.

Any major problems I'm overlooking?

Thanks

I think this will work but wanted to get some other opinions. I am thinking of planting antonovka, crab Apple and urrsian pear trees, then grafting various Apple and pear onto the respective trees after they are established.

I realize these will be full sized trees but would think the crabs would be smaller when full sized and would behave more like a dwarf rootstock.

Any major problems I'm overlooking?

Thanks

I grew some crabapples from seed and planted them in the field in the fall. The following spring, I grafted domestic apples to them (Arkansas Black and Black Twig). I think I grafted too soon and was afraid to remove vegetation. Most grafts failed but one succeeded in spite of that and is doing well. This thread had details from starting the trees from seed to pictures of the successful graft: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/apple-planning-phase-transfered-from-old-forum.5536/

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the answers. Not sure exactly which crabs but possibly dolgo or some medium sized trees.

I don't get some of the hardiness info listed for pyrus communis, some named varieties have hardiness to zone 3 and some are only to zone 5. Aren't the rootstock the same? Or are the roots fine, and it's what's grafted to the top that detemines hardiness??

Zone 4a Wisconsin

Thanks guys, I will say we are lucky to have a good number of a variety of apples in the land already when we bought it. Early and late droppers, big and small, a few I know hold unto dec and later. I don't know of any producing pears around but dad planted a pair of them some time ago, one died and the other hasn't grown much, they were communis I'm almost positive.