Woods PSS84/FPS84 Seed box question

That is a lot of difference in seed size. That is using the large seed box
I have also been wondering about this very issue! Very encouraging.
125 lbs per acre wheat and about 3 lbs per acre durana clover into existing clover plots.
This is very similar to what I want to do. How close are you to maxing out your seeding rate on that box?

I have also been wondering about this very issue! Very encouraging.

This is very similar to what I want to do. How close are you to maxing out your seeding rate on that box?
The large seed box at 125 lbs per acre is at 5/8 on the calibration and goes to 1. I think I could probably seed 200 lbs per acre wheat. The 3 lbs oer acre durana is barely open

@SwampCat Thank you! That helps.

Thanks to all who posted. I am really glad I posted this, there is a lot of info that will help me make good decisions when I buy!

My local Woods dealer has a PSS84 on the lot. It has a cool season and a legume seed box on it, which is exactly what I need.

It wasn’t equipped with scrapers. There is a scraper kit for the disc blades, the spike roller and the cultipacker. I really think I want scrapers for everything. I have some ground that balls up sometimes. Plus, sometimes I just cant wait for perfect conditions so I’m about 90% sure I ought to do the scrapers on everything.

I’m waiting for the salesman to write it up with/without the scraper kits. Gonna pull the trigger on this. Appreciate the help I got from everyone here.

Yes - do the scrapers - for sure

My local Woods dealer has a PSS84 on the lot. It has a cool season and a legume seed box on it, which is exactly what I need.

It wasn’t equipped with scrapers. There is a scraper kit for the disc blades, the spike roller and the cultipacker. I really think I want scrapers for everything. I have some ground that balls up sometimes. Plus, sometimes I just cant wait for perfect conditions so I’m about 90% sure I ought to do the scrapers on everything.

I’m waiting for the salesman to write it up with/without the scraper kits. Gonna pull the trigger on this. Appreciate the help I got from everyone here.
I’ve got scrapers on my discs and cultipacker, I highly recommend them.

Well y’all it has been a bit since I posted!

My PSS84 is in my shed on a dolly cart. I installed the scrapers on the discs, spike roller and the cultipackers. I went to welter and bought some oats, berseem and white clovers. I got a part to fix my sprayer. We about to be game ON!

Well y’all it has been a bit since I posted!

My PSS84 is in my shed on a dolly cart. I installed the scrapers on the discs, spike roller and the cultipackers. I went to welter and bought some oats, berseem and white clovers. I got a part to fix my sprayer. We about to be game ON!
Who did you order the scrapers from?

Who did you order the scrapers from?
I got them from the dealer. The scrapers on the spiked drum made me nervous. Was afraid the spikes would contact the scraper but they fit perfectly.

I got them from the dealer. The scrapers on the spiked drum made me nervous. Was afraid the spikes would contact the scraper but they fit perfectly.
I am surprised they have scrapers for the roller. A couple of the spikes on my roller are bent a little. Hopefully, that wouldnt be a problem if that happens to yours

I am surprised they have scrapers for the roller. A couple of the spikes on my roller are bent a little. Hopefully, that wouldnt be a problem if that happens to yours
I might end up taking it off in time. It also looks to have a strong possibility of sticks getting caught between the scraper and the roller.

8FB227E0-2EC1-44B8-B980-CE8E0057DA9E.jpeg

With it sitting on the cart you can’t really see what the scraper looks like. When I have it hanging off the tractor I’ll try to take a better pic.

I thought after using my PSS84 I would make a follow up post for anyone that comes along later that is considering one of these.

First of all- my original question about the seed boxes and the different seeding rates has to do with the gears installed on the seed boxes. The standard gears came installed on the PSS84 and they are perfect for my uses. A spare set of gears came standard and I can change them if I want to reduce seeding rates. I haven’t yet figured out a time I would do that.

The seeding calibration was really easy. I did it in my shed with a scale. I had messed with the seed calibration pointers that have wing nuts on them so I closed the seed openings, put the pointers on “0” and then set the openings to the opening size on the chart for the seeds I was using. It was pretty much dead on dropping the amount of seed listed on the chart.

I took the quick hitch off my tractor so I could mount the Cat2 hitch in the “float” top slot. The seeder follows ground contour that way. I am not often planting perfectly flat fields. If I was I think leaving the quick hitch on my tractor and adjusting the linkage length would be fine.

I overseeded a bunch of clover plots just to get up and running for this year. All were done with the discs slightly off of the straightest position. I have several places that are fingers back into the timber that have hedge (Osage orange) stumps and roots. I have been working on getting rid of them but sometimes they sneak up on me! This seeder did roll right over them and so far no damage to discs or the spike roller. For me, this environment probably prevents me from using a no-till drill. I see the advantages of a no-till drill for plotters but this seeder is probably a better solution in my case.

It plants very nicely. I think the main thing it MIGHT not do that I MAY want to do is plant fall mix into green forage soybeans. I’m still going to try it!

The only problem I had is I had to re-center the spike roller. I don’t know if I banged it on something or how it got moved. It was easy to re-center. There are two little set screws on the bearings that keep it centered. I am hoping that the set screws were loose and thats why it moved. I tightened them like a white knuckle gorilla and will re-check them and spacing when I am completely done this spring and have cleaned it up. I am hoping the set screw set up isn’t something that isn’t robust enough.

I would like to THANK all who posted info in this thread that helped get me going! I really think the PSS84 will be a game changer for me!!!

Last edited:
I thought after using my PSS84 I would make a follow up post for anyone that comes along later that is considering one of these.

First of all- my original question about the seed boxes and the different seeding rates has to do with the gears installed on the seed boxes. The standard gears came installed on the PSS84 and they are perfect for my uses. A spare set of gears came standard and I can change them if I want to reduce seeding rates. I haven’t yet figured out a time I would do that.

The seeding calibration was really easy. I did it in my shed with a scale. I had messed with the seed calibration pointers that have wing nuts on them so I closed the seed openings, put the pointers on “0” and then set the openings to the opening size on the chart for the seeds I was using. It was pretty much dead on dropping the amount of seed listed on the chart.

I took the quick hitch off my tractor so I could mount the Cat2 hitch in the “float” top slot. The seeder follows ground contour that way. I am not often planting perfectly flat fields. If I was I think leaving the quick hitch on my tractor and adjusting the linkage length would be fine.

I overseeded a bunch of clover plots just to get up and running for this year. All were done with the discs slightly off of the straightest position. I have several places that are fingers back into the timber that have hedge (Osage orange) stumps and roots. I have been working on getting rid of them but sometimes they sneak up on me! This seeder did roll right over them and so far no damage to discs or the spike roller. For me, this environment probably prevents me from using a no-till drill. I see the advantages of a no-till drill for plotters but this seeder is probably a better solution in my case.

It plants very nicely. I think the main thing it MIGHT not do that I MAY want to do is plant fall mix into green forage soybeans. I’m still going to try it!

The only problem I had is I had to re-center the spike roller. I don’t know if I banged it on something or how it got moved. It was easy to re-center. There are two little set screws on the bearings that keep it centered. I am hoping that the set screws were loose and thats why it moved. I tightened them like a white knuckle gorilla and will re-check them and spacing when I am completely done this spring and have cleaned it up. I am hoping the set screw set up isn’t something that isn’t robust enough.

I would like to THANK all who posted info in this thread that helped get me going! I really think the PSS84 will be a game changer for me!!!
I think planting into forage beans is going to be tough - with anything - except a tractor mounted pto spreader lifted as high as it will go - just prior to leaf drop. At least that is how I would do it.