Wisconsin Land Owners

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Any Wisconsin land owners enrolled in the DNR's DMAP program?

How much value do you see in it?

Good Morning, Jerry -B-WI -

I sat through the presentation/webinar last spring. I opted not to pursue at that time, but haven't ruled it out in the future. I really questioned all final benefits..

I’m enrolled. The site survey was ok. I had my local forester and a wildlife Biologist / Tech from Madison.

Please, please don’t take this the wrong way, but land management and wildlife biology are honestly my main hobby (hunting is secondary sometimes 😉). So what I found in my final DNR report were almost all things I was either already doing or had in my current plans.

In a nutshell, they said to plant my existing roads into clover, plant a few plots, and start to manage my uplands for successional habitat. Leave the cedars and hemlocks alone, and keep the beaver population under control.

They also said to try to release my oaks for better growth. Trouble is, I’ve been over 100% of my nearly 300 acres many times on foot at all seasons and haven’t found a single oak tree of any type. In spite of the DNR report.

I did have a couple of direct questions answered by the forester regarding wetland “use” and “improvement”. So that was good too.

I think for someone less “into” these subjects, the whole process might have been more enlightening. For me it was just ok.

Since my land tour, I’ve been back to my home page a couple of times. I haven’t done the harvest reporting. I get a shitload of e-mails about upcoming workshops and online meetings. Some interesting, most not.

I may or may not re-enroll at the end of my 3 year term.

Reactions: J B