Winter Rye

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
It appears to be a shortage this year . I’ve called four different places here in Connecticut and nobody has any in stock . One thing I’ll do now if buy 2 extra bags in case it happens again, at least I’ll have them for the following year . Any other states having problems with Cereal Rye? I’ll have to check for Winter Wheat or Triticale, too.

No issues here in Missouri. I just bought 100 lbs of rye for $47 (23.50 a bag) 50 pounds of oats for $15, red clover seed at $3 a pound, ladino at $5 a pound, and some groundhog forage radishes $3.50 a pound. They had plenty of cereal grains and clover but were low on radishes. He said he was hoping to get some more in soon.

I paid $16.99 / 50# a couple weeks ago, all good here.. Also in MO.

I picked up 8 bags the other day locally in central VA for $20/ 56 lb bag.

Northern NY. I found a supplier. $ 250 for 20 bags delivered. Not sure if they are #40’s or #50’s bags. Either way, I’m pleased.

$13/bu here in Indiana.

Today I paid 26 cents/pound for rye and 30 cents/pound for wheat. $1.43/pound for a 50# bag of clover. Was pretty happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17.50 for 56# here in Pennsylvania. They said it might be in shorter supply this year than normal.

Welters Seed has it for $15.95/bu

It appears to be a shortage this year . I’ve called four different places here in Connecticut and nobody has any in stock . One thing I’ll do now if buy 2 extra bags in case it happens again, at least I’ll have them for the following year . Any other states having problems with Cereal Rye? I’ll have to check for Winter Wheat or Triticale, too.
Seed markets are a funny thing. How it works on the supply side and where it goes after it's processed and bagged (or not) is unique to the seed variety, where it's planted and harvested, and how far it can go distance wise in the distribution chain. Nothing new there. Sometimes rye is in short supply, but it's a local phenomenon. I'd guess 80% of it never goes more than 500 miles from the source. Transportation of a 'low value' product soon eats up any profit. I'm in Virginia, All of our rye seed - or what's intended for use as a cover crop in the farming enterprise is grown here and in the 7-states contiguous to Virginia. It's harvested in late June, early July. The need to satisfy demand, ag demand, comes much later. Not before late October and into December. Producers are in harvest mode now. Corn is nearly picked and soybeans will be the focus well into November. If there's wheat to be planted it will start, here, mid to late October and run into early December. The 'big' market isn't interested in rye until all the money crops are harvested and planted, So, processors sit and wait. Oh, it isn't universal. The point is some years, around here, even with a big supply, you can't buy a bag of rye from a commercial supplier until mid September. There's plenty waiting but the incentive to ship tractor-trailer loads isn't there. Its different every 500 miles.

Usually around here in Ct, I never had a problem
buying it the last week of August to the first week of Sept.

Welters Seed has it for $15.95/bu
Plus $17 or so for shipping. I just go pay $30/bu at the local coop. About evens out.

Not sure where about you are in Ct but I’m located in eastern ct and usually don’t see winter rye until after the corn is cut.