Window tint for hunting blind?

j-bird

I am looking at replacing my wooden windows in my box blind with lexan ones, but am concerned about the deer seeing the movement. Is there a "window tint" that I can put on the lexan that will make it more difficult for the deer to detect movement WITHOUT making it harder for me to see out?

Right now I have 2 different window systems. One is a guillotine type where I can adjust the open height to essentially as much or as little as I choose. The other is a hinged type where the wood panel is hinged on the top and then swings out as it is opened. Both systems work, but I like the idea of being able to hold some heat in if possible while still being able to see what is going on outside.

My concern about just general window tint is in the low light conditions and being able to see the movement I need with a traditional style tint.

If anyone has any experience with something please let me know.

I am making lexan windows for some our stands and my neighbor who owns a glass business recommended this "Gila Window Tint" it comes in rolls. He gave me some to try however I have not had a chance to try it yet so no first hand experience.

I am making lexan windows for some our stands and my neighbor who owns a glass business recommended this "Gila Window Tint" it comes in rolls. He gave me some to try however I have not had a chance to try it yet so no first hand experience.
Well hurry it up ! Just joking. I saw that stuff on the interwebs and thought it was interesting. I may try some and see - if I do I will let you know how it goes.

Around here some of the blind builders offer smoked plexiglass as well as clear. Some also use black cloth velcro'd in front of the widows......and I've seen some guys hang screen fabric over their windows. I have never done these things and don't think the deer see me. Don't move when they are looking in you direction. ;):D

"Don't move when they are looking in you direction." - That's about as sage advice as a person can get right there!!!!

My blinds stick out like a sore thumb (hiding in plain sight) so I fear it isn't quite that simple. I want to shy away from the "smoked" panels as I fear they will limit my visibility in the low light conditions. I have also considered fabric and the like as well - I'll figure something out.

I'm building mine without windows. Just sides and a roof. Probably will regret it one day but it just doesn't feel like hunting to me unless I'm at least somewhat exposed to the elements.

J Bird I am nervous to try tinting the windows as well for the same thoughts you have. We do not have any windows up yet but will in the future for scent control and so I can take the wife and kids along. Windows are a big deal if you want them to sit very long.

One a side note - Has anyone installed windows and then a long vent with a carbon filter to take your scent out of the blind and above the deer?

Around here some of the blind builders offer smoked plexiglass as well as clear. Some also use black cloth velcro'd in front of the widows......and I've seen some guys hang screen fabric over their windows. I have never done these things and don't think the deer see me. Don't move when they are looking in you direction. ;):D
Some people in our area put up fake people in their blinds so the deer get use to seeing a figure up in the stand. It probably works however I have not gone that far yet to create a scarecrow figure etc....

Some people in our area put up fake people in their blinds so the deer get use to seeing a figure up in the stand. It probably works however I have not gone that far yet to create a scarecrow figure etc....
Heck....pay Sandburr a few bucks and he will sit in your blind and eliminate the need for a scarecrow

Cover the windows behind you with burlap. This will eliminate the silhouette. Even better, if you have any old flannels or dark fabric.

As for the windows that you look out of. I usually cover half of them in burlap. I do this in two ways. For windows that I only need to see certain parts of, I put 1-2 foot pieces of burlap in spots that I don't need to see out of that often. I can still see out them, and I can also move the burlap to get a shot. For windows that I need to see out of completely, I hang the burlap the entire length of the window. I then fold the burlap UP onto itself, to cut the overall height of the window to about half. I like to use finishing nails so that it's easy on and easy off. You can either give yourself enough space to fit your scope in so that you can get a quick shot, OR you can do it just high enough to see out and then move it up a bit when you're ready to shoot.

As for the windows themselves, I have glass. We found it for cheap. Just make sure you keep something there to clean them as well as make sure that you keep the sliding tracks clear. If you don't they squeak like crazy!

J Bird I am nervous to try tinting the windows as well for the same thoughts you have. We do not have any windows up yet but will in the future for scent control and so I can take the wife and kids along. Windows are a big deal if you want them to sit very long.

One a side note - Has anyone installed windows and then a long vent with a carbon filter to take your scent out of the blind and above the deer?

Even in my box blinds I still play the wind. My box blinds are home-made so they are nowhere near air tight. The only reason I want the windows is to hold heat in the colder temps and to curb some of the wind at times - I'm a pansy when it comes to the cold. I like using my "Lil Buddy" heater but with open windows I have to hunker over it. I'm hoping with the windows I can let it run and it will help hold the heat in better. I'll have my 11 year old with me this year - so it's for her comfort. Did I say I was a pansy in here.........aw man!

I just ordered bronze transparent plexiglass to make my windows. I was mixed about bronze or the grey but the place I ended up buying from only had the light grey and not the darker grey. BTW, I ordered from estreetplastics.com

I have tinted gray windows from deerview, don't have any issues at dusk.

I just ordered bronze transparent plexiglass to make my windows. I was mixed about bronze or the grey but the place I ended up buying from only had the light grey and not the darker grey. BTW, I ordered from estreetplastics.com

just want to bump this topic as I am looking into options for a one window blind that my uncle built. I was thinking a tinted plexi of some sort. How important is it if there is only one window in the blind anyway?

looks like this topic is a couple years old so you all should have gathered an opinion on your setups. thanks.

I ordered Deerview windows, and they work great! I did a mix of dark grey tinted ones, and clear ones. I put the dark ones in the back of the blind, and the clear ones in the front, to prevent my silhouette being seen from the front.

I ordered Deerview windows, and they work great! I did a mix of dark grey tinted ones, and clear ones. I put the dark ones in the back of the blind, and the clear ones in the front, to prevent my silhouette being seen from the front.

So you think that with a one window blind id be fine with just clear plexi?

So you think that with a one window blind id be fine with just clear plexi?
yes, with only one window you'll be fine.

Thanks Gator. I was just looking at the deer view windows. They look like just the ticket. Im leaning to ward the delux hinge or the pw slider any opinions out there on the two?

Hinge is the way to go. Less noise. I agree, with one window, you only need clear.

I am not sure if this is of any help to you, but looking through the tinted windows from the inside, you can barely tell. F3667E0A-1367-48CA-AC46-4719B6F00F88.png

Here is a picture looking at the front, into the clear windows.
6E60B988-01B4-470A-BBC2-D48F521FA2E5.png