will this work

3dshtr

Buck Fawn
just received the ok to hunt some new property last week. found a nice area for 1/2 acre food plot, I know it's late in year but me and a buddy decided to try it any way. we obtained the use of a small tractor to cut pasture weeds that were about 1 1/2 ft tall. Used a brush hog and cut weeds down as low as it would go about 6 inches. then used a 4 wheeler to pull a drag around on cut area, threw out 100 lbs of w/r, wheat we had and then pulled drag a few time over again. no rain for week or so but it has been 90 degrees this past weekend. have a few hours invested and about 20.00 in seed. no great loss if it doesn't come up but would be awesome if it did. we have received permission to hunt this property again next year so the plot will be done correctly with the throw and grow method

A bit hard to respond without knowing your location.

Sorry about that Tree Spud. live in Oklahoma

Well if 90 degrees is not an aberration for you this time of year, you might have some success. The farmer who lease our ag fields just put in winter rye & winter wheat 8 days ago and it is already 4"-5" tall. We have had unusually high rainfall here and it is supposed to be 75-80 degrees tomorrow.

As you said, only $20 bucks of seed, worth taking a chance. ... the winter rye will green up any time the temps get above 35 degrees and exposed to sun this winter so the deer love that. They will both pop up this spring early for good fresh greens Not sure if you can combine WR and WW as WR suppresses grasses.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply tree spud

Here in Wisconsin we will be no-till winter wheat this weekend. Should get about 6 in tall before freeze. But in your case with those temps should be up in a week or so.

Here in Wisconsin we will be no-till winter wheat this weekend. Should get about 6 in tall before freeze. But in your case with those temps should be up in a week or so.
Where in Wisconsin? Seems awfully late anywhere in the State to expect that kind of growth.

I bet it does just fine

Jefferson country. Drill it and spread some fertilizer. Ground is still warm so germination won't take long and no super cold weather insight.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

As to WR and WW planted together - we planted both together Labor Day weekend at camp and they are doing great. Both are about 8" tall now and the field looks like a green carpet !!