Will This Persimmon Come Back Out?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
423EC900-742E-47D6-83E6-9F05C33340D6.jpeg

This Fuyu persimmon has been in the ground for a year and was doing well. Leafed out this spring and then some 24 degree temps hit it - a couple days in a row. Hammered the leaves. Will it leaf back out?

I vote yes..... always an optimist

particularly if roots didn't freeze after 1 year in the ground

keep us posted

bill

Most likely it will

Yep

I had one come back. Grew from the roots though. Mine was a seedling, so I wasn't worried about a grafted variety.

Timely thread

Got to my place yesterday and all my planted sawtooths,chestnuts look like picture in original post……

Had a day last week with temp 27 at night

High today to be 80….., WTF?!?!?!?

bill

Update: Trees above seem to be recovering with new growth

Sawtooths had flowered ( first flowers since planting1/16) and I am doubtful they will produce this year

SwampCat, how bout an update on the persimmon tree?

bill

Update: Trees above seem to be recovering with new growth

Sawtooths had flowered ( first flowers since planting1/16) and I am doubtful they will produce this year

SwampCat, how bout an update on the persimmon tree?

bill
It is just now forming new buds. Looks like about 75% of the tree or more is going to fully leaf back out.

"Life finds a way...."

Dr Ian Maicoim
Jurassic Park. 1993

bill

Timely thread

Got to my place yesterday and all my planted sawtooths,chestnuts look like picture in original post……

Had a day last week with temp 27 at night

High today to be 80….., WTF?!?!?!?

bill
Welcome to Kansas, every other week! LOL

SwampCat, I'm late to put my vote in but would have gone with re-leafing due to the visible buds that were still unopened... BUT... my own experience is that re-leafing doesn't equal being out of the woods due to #$&! ambrosia boring beetles that are attracted to trees after they're initially stressed.

Hoping you haven't had to deal with the boogers but I've gone a few rounds with them after late cold snaps. Ended up having to cut the trees I saved (figs and mulberry) to the ground so they could resprout/regrow.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/jhoover/articles/page1585256698829

SwampCat, I'm late to put my vote in but would have gone with re-leafing due to the visible buds that were still unopened... BUT... my own experience is that re-leafing doesn't equal being out of the woods due to #$&! ambrosia boring beetles that are attracted to trees after they're initially stressed.

Hoping you haven't had to deal with the boogers but I've gone a few rounds with them after late cold snaps. Ended up having to cut the trees I saved (figs and mulberry) to the ground so they could resprout/regrow.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/jhoover/articles/page1585256698829
None of the visible buds on the tree when the freeze occurred budded out later. All the buds that are now leafing out are new buds since the freeze.