Wild apples and crabs

cavey

5 year old buck +
Now is the time to be looking for those wild apple and crab trees you didnt know you had - up here in northwest Wisconsin anyways. Their coming into blossom and I always carry ribbon to mark trees I find. I also snap pics and geo locate trees I see in blossom. I try and keep track of a few to watch for drop times and fruit size along roads and in old pastures.

I do the same,but with persimmon and pears

I have planted thousands of bare root seedlings with mixed results

.........And then I discover a random,native persimmon tree loaded with fruit on an isolated forrest edge

Its easy to picture Mother Nature smiling as if to say "I'm in charge"

bill

I've located about a brazillion Callery pears in Ohio, and one wild crabapple. Next summer I'm planning a big effort to graft them over to useful varieties, especially Asian pears.

I'm planning to plant out a bunch of seedling Dolgo crabs at my place in Canada, and eventually top work the ones that thrive.

Here in Norway I have found a couple wild apple trees that I pruned up heavily this winter. They get a year or two to show what kind of fruit they produce before I start grafting to them. I've also started grafting apples for wildlife in sets of 3 on Antonovka. I have early, mid, and late season varieties I'm working with.

I also have a rather big seedling project that is ongoing. My supermarket seedlings are in stage 2 of their process, planted from their pots into a bed of loose soil/sphagnum blend. I'm now locating various Dolgos that I will collect apples from this fall, and use them for wildlife trees and rootstock.

I keep my eye out in the fall, after the vast majority of apple trees have been whacked by scab and rust! Now's a great time to spot trees to top work though.

I was our taking pictures of wild crabs and apples yesterday. I try and find something in the picture to indicate the location. Some I need permission to get close to, that are on private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk