Wild Apple

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
I found what I believe is a wild apple tree on my property. Would it pay to release it if there aren't any other apple trees nearby for pollination? The nearest trees are over 100 yds away

Go ahead and release it. A hundred yards is close enough for pollination.

How big is the tree and how much effort to release? If the tree is big and can potentially put out loads of fruit why not do a bit now to at least give more sunlight and prevent going into decline. Might be another close apple that you just haven't spotted yet or you get motivated to plant one near it.

Have a couple of cases where years after owning my property finally "discover" multiple wild fruit trees. First event was logging and opened up the canopy. After that a dozen trees blossomed for I expect the first time with more direct sun.

The best example was discovering a "hidden" 50 ft pear! And I mean all of 50 ft tall. It was smack dab in the middle of a trio of full sized elms that croaked due to another round of dutch elm disease. Walking up my hill trail one spring and I look up and can see a bunch of white on a tree. Check it out and it's blossoms everywhere. No doubt have walked that part of the trail hundreds of times and never saw it bloom before. BTW, that tree later got released even more so the dying elm did not crash into the pear. Swear not another pear within a 1/4 mile but that thing is loaded every yr now. Sometimes you just get lucky

Any mature apple tree in decent shape is worth saving. You can use some diesel in a smal jar and brush. Clip wines and dip in diesel. Young trees around it use the brush. PRevents them from coming back without worrying if herbicides will get into root system of apple tree.

Take some pics now if you can, so you know whats dead and whats not a bit better with hte leaves on.

I would definitely give it a shot. You don't have much if anything to loose. I released a handful on my property and everyone is producing lots of apples now. I would suggest planting a crabapple or 2 for pollination.

I found what I believe is a wild apple tree on my property. Would it pay to release it if there aren't any other apple trees nearby for pollination? The nearest trees are over 100 yds away

Killed a buck on this one last week, not another apple in sight. Some of the crabs don’t need pollination from another tree.

96dc295f1654424b6264fe3e4cec107a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a no brainer, start trimming around the thing. and for that matter the further away the next apple tree is just means that one tree is that much more valuable as a food source

Andrew,

We have a scion exchange on here around january. Even if you don't plan of grafting your own trees, it might be a good one to share.

Just found this thread. Our camp had a couple OLD apple trees surrounded by big pines. We cut down a couple pines on the south side of the apple trees, so they'd get some sunlight. Just making an opening got those apple trees to put on blossoms and bear some fruit, after producing nothing for a number of years. Now those same apple trees are completely released, and have been pruned to be productive again. Sunlight makes all the difference.

As for pollination - a local beekeeper told me that honeybees will fly for 1/4 mile to forage. Native wild bees and other flying insects can also pollinate trees.