Whitetail Crabs Sheepnose Apple

White Oak

5 year old buck +
How do these rate for deer and disease resistance ?. I'm in the south zone 7 and wondering what the drop time would be here (if any of you all have any planted near me) , and how they stand up to CAR. Thanks for any info I've learned a lot from this group.

Why do you want a deer resistant whitetail crab?

I have two planted, but no fruit yet. Two of their varieties have had significant CAR in my area, but I don’t think Sheepnose was one of those. Yellow Delicious was one that did, but I don’t remember the other for sure right now. More than likely, I will eventually topwork those.

Keep in mind too that it can sometimes take many years to find out about fireblight resistance. It is highly unusual to see it on a tree that hasn’t flowered yet, and even after flowering starts you can go several years before the conditions manifest themselves for it to happen. But, if you do see it and a tree survives, there is a chance that it will gain some resistance as the tree matures. You just have to wait and see.

PS - I’m in Zone 6B.

I have two in the ground, one sixth leaf fifteen feet tall the other a second leaf. Great growers no sign of disease...but no fruit just yet.
Zone 6A

I have two planted, but no fruit yet. Two of their varieties have had significant CAR in my area, but I don’t think Sheepnose was one of those. Yellow Delicious was one that did, but I don’t remember the other for sure right now. More than likely, I will eventually topwork those.

Keep in mind too that it can sometimes take many years to find out about fireblight resistance. It is highly unusual to see it on a tree that hasn’t flowered yet, and even after flowering starts you can go several years before the conditions manifest themselves for it to happen. But, if you do see it and a tree survives, there is a chance that it will gain some resistance as the tree matures. You just have to wait and see.

PS - I’m in Zone 6B.
Thanks Native , I'm in zone 7 and I alsways like hearing your feedback and experience with trees . My First NWC planting was in 2020 and this year one of my 30-06 trees from that planting had several clusters of 5-6 red apples , and both of my Droptines had even more fruit, maybe 3 dozen, possibly more, my one Crossbow didn't have any fruit. Time will tell when they drop in My Zone, I'm hoping they drop mid November to early Dec , my 4 week firearms season. I messaged Terry asking if the Sheepnose is CAR resistant , If so I may add one of the 3 foot $12.95 Sheepnose trees , at that price point it wont hurt to try one .

Thanks Native , I'm in zone 7 and I alsways like hearing your feedback and experience with trees . My First NWC planting was in 2020 and this year one of my 30-06 trees from that planting had several clusters of 5-6 red apples , and both of my Droptines had even more fruit, maybe 3 dozen, possibly more, my one Crossbow didn't have any fruit. Time will tell when they drop in My Zone, I'm hoping they drop mid November to early Dec , my 4 week firearms season. I messaged Terry asking if the Sheepnose is CAR resistant , If so I may add one of the 3 foot $12.95 Sheepnose trees , at that price point it wont hurt to try one .

I looked at Sheepnose today. Leaves are clean enough. The one he calls Red Delicious has very clean leaves. The Droptine fruited this year for me, but my fruit is just dried up little black mummies less than the size of a dime. I will likely topwork that tree at some point. 30-06 has some crabs that look nice so far. I will continue to monitor it. If they don't mummify and eventually fall, I will be happy with that tree. The leaves are clean on it too.

I looked at Sheepnose today. Leaves are clean enough. The one he calls Red Delicious has very clean leaves. The Droptine fruited this year for me, but my fruit is just dried up little black mummies less than the size of a dime. I will likely topwork that tree at some point. 30-06 has some crabs that look nice so far. I will continue to monitor it. If they don't mummify and eventually fall, I will be happy with that tree. The leaves are clean on it too.
how old are those NWC trees? I planted some this spring and am getting more...just wanted an idea so I can start thinking about next year's plots in relation to the fruit..thank!

how old are those NWC trees? I planted some this spring and am getting more...just wanted an idea so I can start thinking about next year's plots in relation to the fruit..thank!
Planted spring of 2017 I believe.

The Red crabapples are 30-06 and the green crabapples are Droptines both from Whitetail crabs planted in March of 2020 . Some of The green Droptine apples look messed up/black ...but I'm sure the deer will still eat them

Attachments

• 100_1886.JPG
    100_1886.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1887.JPG
    100_1887.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1891.JPG
    100_1891.JPG
    657.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_1890.JPG
    100_1890.JPG
    890.2 KB · Views: 64
The Red crabapples are 30-06 and the green crabapples are Droptines both from Whitetail crabs planted in March of 2020 . Some of The green Droptine apples look messed up/black ...but I'm sure the deer will still eat them

Looks good. Remind me what state you are in. Your 30-06 look riper than mine at this point.

Looks good. Remind me what state you are in. Your 30-06 look riper than mine at this point.
Central Virginia , closest town you might of heard of is Lynchburg. Thanks, I have two 30-06 's planted in 2020 only one fruited this year , with three groups or clusters with 5-6 crabs , My two Droptines each had a couple of limbs loaded with fruit...but some were black,

This is what I am seeing on my 2nd leaf Shepnose. Any idea what is gong on?

1632828213930.jpeg

My 2018 droptine look similar to yours with the dark spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not gunna lie, fruit looks smaller than Dolgo. I planted 2 30-06 and 2 drop in one of my best spots. Hope they just need a few years to put on some size cause that is not real impressive.

Not gunna lie, fruit looks smaller than Dolgo. I planted 2 30-06 and 2 drop in one of my best spots. Hope they just need a few years to put on some size cause that is not real impressive.
I don't have any Dolgo , but a quick internet search asking the "average size of Dolgo Fruit" came up with 1.5 inches up to 2 inches depending on the nursery. Impressive or not to you , the sizes of Whitetail Crabs fruit are clearly listed in each trees write up on their website. Nothing was hidden , no surprises.... That is if you would have taken the time to read it before ordering ...it clearly states the 30-06 averages 1.25 and the Droptine avearges 1-1.25 . A good size a far as I'm concerned, deer eat a lot of acorns that size.

Hey Native Hunter , How were your Droptine and 30-06 trees this fall 2022 into 2023 ? , and Are you going to keep the Droptine or Top work it ?

Hey Native Hunter , How were your Droptine and 30-06 trees this fall 2022 into 2023 ? , and Are you going to keep the Droptine or Top work it ?
30-06 good and droptine the same. I will likely topwork droptine.

I picked up 2 droptine and 2 30-06 on antonovka from Terry. Real hopeful droptine will be good up north at camp.

I also got a crossbow from him. He sent me a double leader on purpose, so I had plenty of grafting material. Anyone have a mature crossbow? He claims the shape of the tree make it more bear resistant.