White cedars, Techny Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis Techny)

The 2 gallon pots I planted last spring made it through winter great this year. Hopefully they got their roots established and I see some growth this summer.

Been planting white cedar since 2019. This one was planted in late April 2021, as a two gallon pot. Last winter my neighbor logged off the farm and I had LOTS of deer stick around for the winter and browse on my caged/tubed trees. I will be bud capping all of my cedars and caged pines this winter. Anticipating deer pressure will drop now that the logging is done.

White cedar= excellent drought tolerance, roots able to penetrate my heavy clay soil, very respectable growth rates (better than most spruce and better than all fir trees, cant keep up with the pines), has turned out to be a great tree on the TOPS of my ground and not just lowland. Gonna keep planting about 10 a year.

IMG_5631.JPEG

Been planting white cedar since 2019. This one was planted in late April 2021, as a two gallon pot. Last winter my neighbor logged off the farm and I had LOTS of deer stick around for the winter and browse on my caged/tubed trees. I will be bud capping all of my cedars and caged pines this winter. Anticipating deer pressure will drop now that the logging is done.

White cedar= excellent drought tolerance, roots able to penetrate my heavy clay soil, very respectable growth rates (better than most spruce and better than all fir trees, cant keep up with the pines), has turned out to be a great tree on the TOPS of my ground and not just lowland. Gonna keep planting about 10 a year.

View attachment 53892

love the eastern red so far!I have found white cedar harder to cultivate than eastern red.