Which Summer Planting prior to Fall Planting

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
I posted earlier that we did a new food plot and one of the last new ones that we did we planted buckwheat in the summer then this throw and mow afterwards with a fall planting. I've read where a few people really liked mature oats as a winter food for the grain. Would it make sense to plant oats this summer and then when they mature just throw down some rye/clover or brassica mixture? This would be similar to what some people do with soybeans. We'd be getting to this too late to put in soybeans.

Our established plots are all in clover during the summer after being fall planted with our fall mixtures. We even plant a little clover with the brassicas and then add frost seeding clover to the brassicas to ensure a good stand the summer.

Thanks for any advice!

We left a winter wheat field go to seed one year. Deer were in it late summer eating the seed heads like crazy. The deer were done with it by deer season. Those deer don't have a ton of agriculture and tend to eat about anything so it may not be a great example. I would be concerned about germination in a mature oat stand.

HOW late??? And where are you?

Northeast Wisconsin (North of Green Bay near Crivitz).

We would plant Fall Brassicas around mid to late July or Fall grains/clover around Sept 1st.

I think I would just go the July brassicas followed by a rye/clover overseed in late August and call it good. For that matter, if you had decent rain up to that point, you could just put it all down in July and walk away?