Where do you buy your apple trees from?

I need to give the All-Winter-Hangover crab and Winter Wildlife crab a try from SLN, I really like what I've read about them on here.

I’ve planted both and they are doing well. Mine are still very young with the oldest planted spring of 2015. They have been the quickest growing of my trees with some approaching 10ft tall this fall. They are not bearing yet although one did put out one apple this year and it was still hanging a week ago.

WTNUT - I just returned from hunting camp ...... catching up with e-mails & forum. I'll answer your question from your earlier post #8 below.

My experience with SLN has been great. I haven't lost a tree that I got from them. The Antonovka rootstocks they graft to look like a carrot - not all hairy-looking fine roots like other rootstocks. Don't let that scare you. Antonovka roots take about 2 to 3 years to kick in for big-time growth, but when they do kick in - they take off. I planted my trees so the graft union was about 1 1/2" above finished grade, and they've all grown well for me. I've gotten crabs and regular apples from SLN and they have all developed into really nice trees. I have NO complaints with SLN. I have put together a new order for spring 2018 already from SLN !!!

I've always been drawn to the assortment of crabs SLN usually carries. My favorites are their All-Winter-Hangover crab and the Winter Wildlife crab. Both are doing extremely well for my camp property. We also have Chestnut, Violi's, Centennial, Dolgo, and Centurion crabs from SLN. All are growing very well for us.

I also got regular apples from SLN. Sherry, Prairie Spy, Bonkers, Rhuby, Minnesota 1734, Wolf River, Priscilla, Liberty and Kerr ( apple/crab cross ) are the regular apples I've planted from them. I've been well pleased with SLN's stock. Hope that helps in some way.

Have you had any fruit on Mn 1734?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to buy all my trees from Miller Nursery in Canandaigua, NY but they got out of the business a few years back when Stark Bros bought them out. Now my preferred nursery is Cummins and I always get really strong healthy trees from them. With Cummins, I know which rootstock I am getting, as opposed to just dwarf, semi-dwarf, or standard. If Cummins doesn't have what I'm looking for, then I look to Stark Bros., and again, I have always received healthy trees with no problems. But like you, I am always looking for reliable nurseries with good reputations, so it is great to hear what others have to say. With that in mind, I'd feel comfortable ordering from ACN, SLN, and Turkeycreek. Nice to have options!

Last edited:
Art - Not yet. It's a fairly young tree ........ only planted 3 years. SLN lists it as a russet-type apple - smaller, hard fruit that makes excellent cider. It is a later apple that is an annual bearer of heavy crops according to their catalog. I'm looking forward to the first apples just to see what they're like.

I've purchased about 30 grafted trees from Cummins and have been happy with all but a couple sour cherry trees. For apples, they off a wide selection of varieties on many rootstocks plus retail off of those rootstocks too. You can pay more for a bigger tree or less for smaller tree. Answer e-mails and return phone calls. They may have an occasional lapse in customer service but are reasonable in resolving.

Bought 1 grafted tree from Gurney's that was their exclusive. Fine tree when it arrived. Expensive unless you catch their half off sale. Don't know the rootstock.

Have bought a few grafted apple trees from Stark's (their exclusives) and some other stuff. Happy with them but would like to know the rootstock.

Have bought a dozen grated apple trees from Raintree. No complaints on the trees. A couple were mislabeled but I think these ones might be re-sold so I don't know if the mislabeling was at Raintree or their supplier. They also carry a nice selection of rootstock at better prices than Cummins. I'd buy it there if they had it.

I've not bought a tree from Fedco but have bought scionwood from them.

Starks, Raintree, Fedco and Gurneys all have lots of other stuff you can buy too for the garden or backyard.

Adams County is a nursery I would order from but never have. If I ever get around to buying peach trees, it would probably be from ACN.

To graft, I've bought small numbers of rootstock from Cummins and Raintree and bought 50-100 quantities from Treco and Willamette.

Art - Not yet. It's a fairly young tree ........ only planted 3 years. SLN lists it as a russet-type apple - smaller, hard fruit that makes excellent cider. It is a later apple that is an annual bearer of heavy crops according to their catalog. I'm looking forward to the first apples just to see what they're like.

I planted one last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought (for many years) B118 rootstock and scionwood from Fedco and benchgrafted (whip-n-tongue and cleft) up a storm. All survived, even my fingers!