when to plant brassica mix in NY? (PPT, Daikon Radish, Rape and...maybe kale)

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
when should I plant a brassica mix in NY? (PPT, Daikon Radish, Rape and...maybe kale). Thanks!

I usually try to plant around labor day or before depending on rain. I'm in northern PA.

If your looking to grow large radish and PTT roots then plant 90 days prior to your average first frost date and fertilize heavy. If you want tops then 45-60 days prior will give you Great tops.

I'm getting ready to plant them in the next couple days here in MI, we are supposed to have rain on Thurs.

Brassica will keep growing well past first frost dates unlike many other crops. If you have had a hard time getting the deer in your area to eat them I would plant later as opposed to sooner. I find myself planting later and later every year. I think the deer like them better when they are smaller anyway.

Edit: If planting via TNM/roll I would maybe plant a week earlier than If doing traditional tillage.

We plant ours mid to late July. I am prepping fields now to plant July 15-17 when I have a few days off, weather permitting. Deer hammer ours and I am looking for as much growth as possible. I have planted all through August with decent results. Labor day and after yields less than desirable results for us.