When to mow?

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Hello.
our irrigation water has been exhausted. I was fortunate enough to get a foot of wate r applied to the lawn.

it’s over 90 degrees now.

I am thinking I shouldn’t mow the lawn until it cools off or the lawn goes dormant?

what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 14
Turf is a whole different ball game than production. I guess you need to decide how much thought and management you want to put in it. If it were me - and I put a lot (or some) thought into turf management - I'd keep it mowed when it becomes necessary. If I played more golf when I was younger I would have been a golf course superintendent. Given your situation, if it were mine I'd keep it at 4-inches. If it, somehow, were to grow to 5-inches I'd mow it. You don't want to remove more than a third of the leaf at one mowing to reduce the recovery stress. But maybe that's too fine a point on the subject. Frankly, right now here in Virginia I have a property where I don't give a rat's behind about the turf. If it dies I'll reseed it. It's kind of a love-hate relationship with turf isn't it?

If you are bored, and the lawn bothers you, mow it high just to keep it even. Otherwise, let nature take its course. If you mow it short, it will probably turn brown and go dormant unless you get rain.

It’s been mowed tight while irrigating.

but it’s no where near 5 inches now