When to fertilize

Peeps

5 year old buck +
It’s been a late spring up by me. Now we have finally warmed up but night temps dip back into the 20’s for part of next week. I’m running up to my land tomorrow to plant 2 trees and do some other stuff. My question is should I spread my fertilizer around my established apple trees when I’m up there tomorrow or wait till next time I’m going up in mid May?

Im no apple expert, but if it can be done and you got the time, do it....... I always got a few extra projects I bring with me if I got the extra time, which is next to never........ But, every now and then a few get done.

If the soil is very sandy and doesn't hold nutrients that well, maybe hold back. IF you got some good ability to absord and hold nutrients like clay does, I'd go for it.

How heavy you spreading it?

Im no apple expert, but if it can be done and you got the time, do it....... I always got a few extra projects I bring with me if I got the extra time, which is next to never........ But, every now and then a few get done.

If the soil is very sandy and doesn't hold nutrients that well, maybe hold back. IF you got some good ability to absord and hold nutrients like clay does, I'd go for it.

How heavy you spreading it?
Our season has been running a couple of weeks later than usual. The trees have been slow waking up this spring so I’m gonna wait. I have sandy soil so probably not a bad idea anyway. I have plenty to do up there anyway now that I finally stopped running sap for maple syrup just last weekend.

I usually wait until it leafs out.

I took a peak at mine today, they aren’t even at silver tip yet.

Spring sometime just don’t do it late summer so the trees put on a ton of growth heading into fall

When I looked at my trees today it was a no brainer as almost all haven’t woken up yet. I spread lime instead and planted 2 new ones. Grousee supervised with the planting. 39680DEE-0F73-46D0-AFE3-658010EB85A5.png

When I looked at my trees today it was a no brainer as almost all haven’t woken up yet. I spread lime instead and planted 2 new ones. Grousee supervised with the planting. View attachment 42590
What;s the going rate on a security chicken?

Peeps,

there's gotta be a story there

bill

Peeps,

there's gotta be a story there

bill
This grouse started following me around over 2 years ago. She comes running when I’m outside and will sometimes sit on the porch waiting for me to come back out. I can pick her up and she likes riding on the 4 wheeler with me. I have no idea how nothing hasn’t eaten her yet. We call her Grousee. There are more pics of her on the Maple Syrup thread.

Can she actually fly?

This grouse started following me around over 2 years ago. She comes running when I’m outside and will sometimes sit on the porch waiting for me to come back out. I can pick her up and she likes riding on the 4 wheeler with me. I have no idea how nothing hasn’t eaten her yet. We call her Grousee. There are more pics of her on the Maple Syrup thread.
^That is really cool. Anything you did to start this relationship? You must be a smooth talker....lol.

My guess is someone raised her from a chick and she left their place during breeding season and never found her way back home. Way to tame around humans to have not been hand raised.

Well, that's just about the coolest pet I've seen

bill

Can she actually fly?
Yes she can. If I’m going too fast on the wheeler she will fly after me and wack my head till I slow down or stop. She got caught in the front grill of my wife’s wheeler once doing this and she had to pull her out. Another time my daughter ran her over and had her pinned under the tire. I thought she was gonna die. She got real skinny and lost her tail feathers after that. But Grousee is tough and pulled through getting fat again and regrowing her tail feathers. I’ll be sad someday when I’m up there and Grousee is no where to be found.

My apple trees are just breaking silverbud right now. I would say we are a couple weeks behind. But I would rather they be late, then early and get caught in a late freeze.

Grousee is cool as hell!
Sweet mascot to have at the farm.

I fertilize at bud break or soon after.

I fertilized today. Most have broken bud. Turkey hunting next weekend so won’t have any time. Did 35 trees today. South central WI.