What to spray to clean out bedding areas

shawnv

5 year old buck +
So I've spent time the past couple of weeks expanding and cleaning out my hinged bedding area. The first stuff was cut three years ago and by last fall it got so thick with blackberry briars and some multiflora rose that the deer would not use a large portion of it. I've whacked it out but I will need to come back in and spray the trails back so I was wondering if gly would be the spray of choice here or not.

blackberry briars and multiflora rose that grow up along the trails. Just want to spray enough so that it doesn't crowd the beds and trails out.

I wouldn't use gly to kill blackberry and MFR. It may knock them back, but I'd doubt a total kill. Crossbow has worked well for me on those species.

Thanks! Does Crossbow have a generic name say if I go down to the local co-op and they don't carry that brand?

Thanks! Does Crossbow have a generic name say if I go down to the local co-op and they don't carry that brand?
Yes it does - Crossroad. It will save you roughly $10 on a per gallon basis (crossbow runs $60/gal in my area). There may be others, but this is the one I am familiar with.

I would make a cocktail of Glyphosate/Triclopyr (active ingredient) and some type of residual, so you don't have to keep going back in those bedding areas. Imazapyr seems to have a residual affect, Atrazine, etc. Anything you could add so you wouldn't have to frequent more times during the year.

I would focus on killing invasives like the mfr.

Watch using anything with a residual. It can leach beyond your target area - I know a guy that used pramitol on his drive to kill the weeds in the gravel - it rained and a week later his entire yard was dead as hammed $h!t and it stayed that way for an entire year.

Sahara is great, lately using a mix of what's onhand, usually gly, oust and atrazine