What to plant in the spring to suppress weeds in next falls turnip plot?

Bowhunter2004

Yearling... With promise
I have a 2 1/2 acre plot that I will plant in Turnips and Rape in July, I want to plant something when I'm out at the farm the 1st week of April to suppress weed production, I was thinking an annual clover mix then I would disc it under when I replant in July. Is this a good idea? Or should I just leave it alone until July? Also, this plot has been in turnips and Rape two years in a row now, the big question is, will planting the clover this spring be suffficient for rotation to break the cycle as far as disease concerns from planting multiple year Turnips? Another thing to consider, is that I rarely hunt this area of the farm, I have other kill plots in place through out the rest of the farm....but I like to utilize this space for a wintering over food source that the deer will not utilize to heavily until winter, that's why I like turnips in this particular spot, it's worked well. I think the clover would help for early spring/summer weed control, then get the Turnips back in for July. The farms 1000 miles away, so I have to keep it simple....This is a heavy AG area in west central illinois so there's plenty of food. So, by having clover in this plot from April to July will it be safe to re plant Turnips again for the 3rd year in a row? Can I keep doing this every year? I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep planting the Turnips for the lack of early fall attraction and the late winter attraction. Thank you. PS, I know the Rape is suppose to be an early fall attraction, but my deer don't seem to care for it to much and prefer the oats, Rye , clover and beans over the Rape, so I mix it in with the Turnips.

I was getting ready to type the exact same question. I was pretty well set on trying medium red clover and some cereal rye and then going with a 3rd straight year of brassicas in July or August. Interested to hear what others have to say.

A lot of people suggested that I plant oats for a spring cover crop. I went with a pea/oat mix with some red clover mixed in. It worked pretty well.You can plant it as early as you can get in the field and it did work well to keep the weeds down. I didn't notice much deer use from it though. I love just running the disc over last years rape and planting beans there, but waiting till July is to long and the weeds will take over. I would suggest that you rotate and plant something else there. I have heard 2 years max on brassica in the same plot.

I'd plant oats and clover. I've had good luck with crimson clover and oats but I have never planted it the first of April, more towards the end of April. I see you are south of me so you might get away with earlier planting.

Winter rye or buckwheat either alone or with a pea mix would be what I'd use. Clover wouldn't do you much good if your going to disk it in July. The first week of April the ground may be a little cold for BW, but it would be fine for the other 2.

Last edited:
If you just plant the oats at 2-4 bu per acre and leave them stand. You can over seed easy into them. Provided the weeds don't come bad. If the weeds do come bad after the oats are ripe, spray with round up and over seed then. Leave the oats stand, makes for great feed and cover!

I have a 2 1/2 acre plot that I will plant in Turnips and Rape in July, I want to plant something when I'm out at the farm the 1st week of April to suppress weed production, I was thinking an annual clover mix then I would disc it under when I replant in July. Is this a good idea? Or should I just leave it alone until July? Also, this plot has been in turnips and Rape two years in a row now, the big question is, will planting the clover this spring be suffficient for rotation to break the cycle as far as disease concerns from planting multiple year Turnips? Another thing to consider, is that I rarely hunt this area of the farm, I have other kill plots in place through out the rest of the farm....but I like to utilize this space for a wintering over food source that the deer will not utilize to heavily until winter, that's why I like turnips in this particular spot, it's worked well. I think the clover would help for early spring/summer weed control, then get the Turnips back in for July. The farms 1000 miles away, so I have to keep it simple....This is a heavy AG area in west central illinois so there's plenty of food. So, by having clover in this plot from April to July will it be safe to re plant Turnips again for the 3rd year in a row? Can I keep doing this every year? I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep planting the Turnips for the lack of early fall attraction and the late winter attraction. Thank you. PS, I know the Rape is suppose to be an early fall attraction, but my deer don't seem to care for it to much and prefer the oats, Rye , clover and beans over the Rape, so I mix it in with the Turnips.

In my area, turnips need to be terminated in the spring or they will bolt. I like to use a tiller set so high it barely touches the soil. This terminates the turnips minimizing the tillage. I'm in zone 7A and I can double crop Buckwheat if I want, but I've noticed that the early crop (planted in April) tends to be lethargic compared to the second crop planted with warmer soils. I'm not sure you will get much out of planting buckwheat in your area in April. If so, it will probably need to be late April. Buckwheat will germinate with soil temps as low as 45, but the optimal soil temp is 80 degrees.

Disease in brassica is more related to the density of brassica plants and time. For farmers planting monocultures of brassica, they suggest that you shouldn't plant the same field for more than two years in a row. Keep in mind that a farmer risks losing income (unless insured) if disease becomes a problem. We have several ways to deal with this. One is to reduce brassica density by mixing your brassica with complementary plants reducing the amount of brassica in the field. In my area crimson clover acts as a reseeding annual clover. So, if I mix crimson clover, cereal (WR in my case), and brassica, the amount of brassica on a per square foot basis is reduced. The crimson clover reseeds and bounces back in the spring along with the winter rye. This way, no spring tillage is required and the crimson and WR help keep weeds at bay until you are ready to plant for fall.

I'm not sure if crimson reseeds in your area, but this is a general approach to consider. It works well when you have to travel to the farm since you really don't need to do anything in the spring.

Thanks,

Jack

In my area, turnips need to be terminated in the spring or they will bolt. I like to use a tiller set so high it barely touches the soil. This terminates the turnips minimizing the tillage. I'm in zone 7A and I can double crop Buckwheat if I want, but I've noticed that the early crop (planted in April) tends to be lethargic compared to the second crop planted with warmer soils. I'm not sure you will get much out of planting buckwheat in your area in April. If so, it will probably need to be late April. Buckwheat will germinate with soil temps as low as 45, but the optimal soil temp is 80 degrees.

Disease in brassica is more related to the density of brassica plants and time. For farmers planting monocultures of brassica, they suggest that you shouldn't plant the same field for more than two years in a row. Keep in mind that a farmer risks losing income (unless insured) if disease becomes a problem. We have several ways to deal with this. One is to reduce brassica density by mixing your brassica with complementary plants reducing the amount of brassica in the field. In my area crimson clover acts as a reseeding annual clover. So, if I mix crimson clover, cereal (WR in my case), and brassica, the amount of brassica on a per square foot basis is reduced. The crimson clover reseeds and bounces back in the spring along with the winter rye. This way, no spring tillage is required and the crimson and WR help keep weeds at bay until you are ready to plant for fall.

I'm not sure if crimson reseeds in your area, but this is a general approach to consider. It works well when you have to travel to the farm since you really don't need to do anything in the spring.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack
I planted winter rye and crimson clover this past fall. If I just leave it alone this spring, will it provide for the deer until I replant in the fall. Do I need to mow or do anything. I usually plant buckwheat in the spring.
Thanks

Buckwheat, winter rye, oats, clover.

Last edited:
Jack
I planted winter rye and crimson clover this past fall. If I just leave it alone this spring, will it provide for the deer until I replant in the fall. Do I need to mow or do anything. I usually plant buckwheat in the spring.
Thanks

The crimson clover should bounce back in the spring as well as the WR. Deer will use the clover. The WR won't be tender in the spring. Deer will use it a bit if they have nothing else, but it won't have much value for deer. If you let it head-out, turkey and deer may use the heads some. If you want to maximize the food value for deer, I would mow the WR if it begins to shade out the clover. This will maximize the crimson clover. I would plant your buckwheat in mid-to-late June. We can plant buckwheat up until about the 4th of July in our area with a very good chance of success. The buckwheat will be done about the time you are ready to plant in the fall. The CC will provide a good food source for deer in the early spring and a bugging source for turkey.

Good Luck,

Jack

Thanks for all the great info.

I am assuming in your area your grasses & weeds will start to emerge & green up in April. I would do one pass glysophate spray on Saturday morning for an initial kill. Then I would broadcast spread 100 lbs of winter rye per acre.

Winter rye is alleopathic and will suppress broad leaf and some grasses. You can then overseed with clover, oats, peas, or even beans.

Buckwheat is a good smother crop and grows almost anywhere.

Buckwheat is a bit pricey these days compared to rye or oats though. If thats of any concern.

How does winter rye act when planted in spring? I have only fall planted it. Buckwheat does get expensive and my deer seem to eat it as fast as it comes up. Also, when would you plant it in the spring?
Thanks,

Rye works just fine in spring. I planted about an acres worth last spring, and mowed it down mid august and let it all reseed itself so I had green stuff come hunting season.

I plant buckwheat Memorial Day weekend in Central Wisconsin. It's a great attractant and my deer hammer the heck out of it but it grows so fast that I still end up with a ton of organic matter to roll down later in the summer for a brassica and/or rye planting. Best of both worlds IMO.