5 year old buck +
What kind of tree is this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 34
image.jpg

This ^^^

Pretty much every part of the buckeye tree is poisonous to humans if consumed.

Cut it down!

Wow you guys are fast. Thanks for the info and being quicker than Stu on the draw. Just giving you a hard time Stu. Thxs

I'll change my guess to Buckeye (a close relative of Horse Chestnut), but either way the nuts are of no use to a deer manager. If you're a squirrel hunter, you may want to keep it though.

^^^you guys beat me :D
That's rare to beat you at ID!
I did like John said and cut my buckeye down.

Most of you guys are too young to remember... but in the old days, you had to go to the library and get a book, page through it or a key ID page or two. Then find some other reference on use by wildlife. Or drive to the forestry office.

Now you get all sorts of opinions, and some might even be right!

Most of you guys are too young to remember... but in the old days, you had to go to the library and get a book, page through it or a key ID page or two. Then find some other reference on use by wildlife. Or drive to the forestry office.

I'd forgot about that....Times sure have changed in every aspect!

Hahahahahaha!

That is an Ohio buckeye - one of the most worthless trees in the woods! The wood is too soft for any sort of significant timber use. They seeds are not eaten by many wildlife at all, they drop their leaves early so they are of little cover value. I hing cut all of mine! The ONLY thing they are good for is it's an old saying that a buckeye in your pocket is good luck. My grandfather passed away and he carried one - I have since taken on the tradition in his honor.

I still have an old buckeye nut that belonged to my grandfather that I keep in a lockbox with his WWII paraphernalia and his Purple Heart/Bronze Star Medals.

When I started carrying the buckeye I drilled a hole in it. I have a small medallion that has my grandfathers thumb print etched in it and I use the blue ribbon that I wore to identify the immediate family at his funeral that I use to string the two together. The buckeye dries out and falls apart over time so when it's time for a new one I go out and find one, say a small prayer and swap them out. I think I may try to find some way to seal it in the future.

I carry that little trinket in my pocket all the time - I actually feel lost without it in my pocket now. I'm not sure it is truly lucky or not - all I know is that it makes me think of him. Turns out I was pretty lucky without the buckeye, but sometimes I need a little reminder!

If you're a squirrel hunter, you may want to keep it though.

I had planted some of these for squirrels but soon discovered the power of lemon grass for targeting female squirrels. Somebody should study that.

Hahahahahaha!
I tell my clients that I have all sorts of stories and some are even true!

They can be huntin' stories, fishin' stories, or cow stories.
I had planted some of these for squirrels but soon discovered the power of lemon grass for targeting female squirrels. Somebody should study that.
Good use for deer hunters license money.

I love using the books! I took entomology (bugs) 2 years ago in college, and it was great! Don't ever try to get a positive ID on a fly though. It's literally about counting how many leg hairs they have. Compared to that trees are easy, it's the weeds that I have a hard time with!