What is up with this clover?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Was checking out a friend's place yesterday and came across this white-dusted looking clover. We have not had a ton of rain this summer and this spot is pretty shaded for about half the day.
This spot also had a pretty low pH when we started amending about 2 years ago, but we have added alot of dolomitic pelletized lime (probably 1000 lbs in the less than 0.25 acre plot).
Any ideas on what it might be? I am thinking a soil test is in order but wanted to see if anyone else has had clover that looked like this before?
Thanks in advance for the help!
IMG_6866[1].JPG
IMG_6867[1].JPG

Sounds like powdery mildew

I would say soil test for sure- I think a Potassium deficiency can cause that if I recall correctly. I know my clover has had it before and hot/dry weather seemed to make it a little worse.

How has that spot been managed up until now for this growing season? I see what looks like rye among it. Any mowing, spraying, or fertilizing so far?

How has that spot been managed up until now for this growing season? I see what looks like rye among it. Any mowing, spraying, or fertilizing so far?
I think it was sprayed with gly to burn everything down and planted with clover and rye last fall...added some more clover this spring but no mowing or fertilizing this year

I think it was sprayed with gly to burn everything down and planted with clover and rye last fall...added some more clover this spring but no mowing or fertilizing this year
A quick and dirty I'd try: Spread rye, flax, chicory, and gypsum now, and mow it down. If you put down a hot rate of dolomitic, a shot of calcium and sulfate might get her to start snortin' again.

Was checking out a friend's place yesterday and came across this white-dusted looking clover. We have not had a ton of rain this summer and this spot is pretty shaded for about half the day.
This spot also had a pretty low pH when we started amending about 2 years ago, but we have added alot of dolomitic pelletized lime (probably 1000 lbs in the less than 0.25 acre plot).
Any ideas on what it might be? I am thinking a soil test is in order but wanted to see if anyone else has had clover that looked like this before?
Thanks in advance for the help!
View attachment 44798
View attachment 44799
My honest first reaction? Spider mites.....or powdery mildew. Hard to tell from behind a desk in Virginia!

This isn't clover but you get the idea?

1658957176857.png

Last edited:
My honest first reaction? Spider mites.....
^^^^ Derek -
Easy way to test for spider mites ........... hold a sheet of blank white copier paper under the clover leaves and shake / knock the clover to dislodge any mites (they are TINY !!) Then smear the paper with your fingers. If there are mites, you'll see smears on the paper. I had spider mites on our dwarf Alberta spruce at our house - used this method to detect them. If it's mites, chemical sprays might be in order.

I'll defer to Farmer Dan and other ag guys for advice on sprays.

I am leaning towards powdery mildew as this is at the top of a sloped plot and with the little rain we have had and the mildews predilection for dry I would guess that’s it. I will try Bows’ spider mite test next time I am up there though.

Update: I found some of the same white stuff on the clover in my home plot along the bottom of the plot that is on a pretty significant slope...definitely thinking powdery mildew now.
My field at home has alot better soil than the one at my friend's place and we have thunderstorms inbound right now so I am hoping getting rid of the dryness will help...thanks again for the advice!