What is this?

BrushyPines

5 year old buck +
This is on a crabapple seedling. I noticed it while I was pruning it this year. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• CrabSeedling.jpg
    CrabSeedling.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 64
When cutting off branches, try not to leave as much of a stub. You do want to leave the branch collar, but not a stub. More times than not stubs that short will die and leave a potential rot spot.

Look like burr knots to me also.

When cutting off branches, try not to leave as much of a stub. You do want to leave the branch collar, but not a stub. More times than not stubs that short will die and leave a potential rot spot.
Thanks TC! These knots were on the branches before I pruned them though. Anyone have any recommendations on how to treat this?

weird newbie question...can you re-prune those? would that help or just introduce more injury?

I wouldn't cut them off. I would either pile a bit of dirt up around the trunk or just leave them be. Or cut them low ans graft onto them.

I think Telemark hit the nail on the head, pretty sure it's burr knots. There is not much to be done except to scrub them off, but I think that might give other diseases an entry point. If you do that, make sure you coat it with some sort of coating (TreeKote). Personally, I'd cut my loses and replace the tree with a healthy new one now, before you have any more time invested. I guess grafting is an option, but the problem may be in the rootstock, and, I think a graft that low will take years to get to the height of a new bare-root tree. Either way, good luck!

https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2015/12/Getting-to-the-Root-of-Burr-Knots-on-Apple-Trees/

Last edited:
I think Telemark hit the nail on the head, pretty sure it's burr knots. There is not much to be done except to scrub them off, but I think that might give other diseases an entry point. If you do that, make sure you coat it with some sort of coating (TreeKote). Personally, I'd cut my loses and replace the tree with a healthy new one now, before you have any more time invested. I guess grafting is an option, but the problem may be in the rootstock, and, I think a graft that low will take years to get to the height of a new bare-root tree. Either way, good luck!

https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2015/12/Getting-to-the-Root-of-Burr-Knots-on-Apple-Trees/
The article makes sense for my area. The humidity during the summer here is awful. Going to try to file off the bur knots and coat the filing with Treekote and see how that does since it's just on one tree. Going forward, I'm going to steer away from crab seedlings and go with DR known varieties. You live and you learn. So glad I found this board, because I have learned a lot in the short time I have been here. Thanks for all the knowledge guys!