What is this?

Coletrain8

Buck Fawn
Can someone tell me what this is on my apple trees and how to treat it? How bad will it harm the trees? I'm new to this and googling hasn't given me anything conclusive.

Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 84
It looks like cedar rust to me. Do you have red cedars in your area?

I have similar damage on my apple trees and they do fine without any spraying. I'm sure it reduces the fruit output some, but I've never had it kill or severely damage a tree.

Can someone tell me what this is on my apple trees and how to treat it? How bad will it harm the trees? I'm new to this and googling hasn't given me anything conclusive.

Thank you all
The first picture (yellow/orange dots) is definitely cedar apple rust. I've never had to treat it myself.

The 2nd photo looks like frog eye leaf spot/black rot. That gives leaf spots that are brown with a purplish border. It is also a fungal disease but not related to the cedars or junipers. The black rot is when it affects the fruit or limbs.

Agree the first photo shows CAR

As others have mentioned, the first picture shows Cedar Apple Rust, which is mostly cosmetic in the northern states like NY, PA MI, WI and MN. However, Native Hunter reports CAR takes a much harder toll on his trees in central KY. So depending on your location, this may – or may not – be a serious concern to you.

There are plenty of varieties that CAR resistant, so don’t let this slow you down, just be aware is present in your area.

We have loads of CAR spores here In northern New York. Some apple trees react so badly to it that the leaves get to a non functioning state and fall off. Other apple trees as mentioned can Put up with it and still Produce plenty of apples. The best bet is to keep track of the tree for a few years and determine If the tree is worth keeping. To protect against the spores the tree needs to be sprayed immediately after every rain when leaves are on the tree. That is when the spores leave their orange globs on the cedar trees and attach themselves to the apple trees. That is physically impossible here and in my attempts at it with a few trees years ago the trees sprayed showed CAR just as the unsprayed trees did; miss a spraying or two and the susceptible trees get it.

The forestry department at Cornell told me that cutting every red cedar tree for a four mile radius would work also but I doubt the science to that number. Likely though none of us has enough land to cut down every cedar tree four miles in every direction or even two miles so the actual distance the spores travel is a mute point. It basically might as well be an infinite distance.
The best way to avoid CAR is don’t plant apple trees that are susceptible to it. There are many lists that show apple trees known to be susceptible and many on here have experience with many other susceptible not included on listed.The Purdue list is a good starting point.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-137-w.pdf