What is this weed?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
IMG_2342.JPGIMG_2343.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like marestail.

Looks like marestail.
Same.
Have you sprayed it with anything? Gly and 24d only kill some of it for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks like the other stuff around it is toast but the marestail is slightly pi$$ed.

Looks like the other stuff around it is toast but the marestail is slightly pi$$ed.

Think you are right. We do not normally have it that is why I did not know what it was. What kills it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm dealing with it now. It laughs at gly. I tried 2-4-D Amine on it this spring in a few fields. According to the label you need to wait for 2 weeks before planting soybeans and they much be drilled with no tillage. That is what I did. I got a good plant in all my soybean fields (those sprayed and those not sprayed by the 24D Amine). Unfortunately, I may need to go back to forage beans. I had such heavy browse pressure that the beans did not come close to forming a canopy.

Rather than my normal surface broadcasting a cover crop into standing beans, I decided the beans were not worth keeping for this fall. So, on Friday, I decided to get ready for a full fall plant. I picked a few fields to spray hoping the beans left in the remaining fields would sustain deer. Well, the first field I sprayed had not been sprayed with 24D amine in the spring. The primary weed was Marestail. When I got to the next field I planed to spray, I was surprised. It was one sprayed in the spring before planting the beans. There was very little marestail in it. Most of the weeds were grasses. I just spot sprayed that field. It showed my how effective the 24D amine was against marestail.

I can find no information on the residual effect for my cover crop. My plan is to lightly till those fields next week. I'll use a tiller and set it so high it should only hit the top inch. This should break my crusting issue and chew up weeds disrupting them. I plan to wait 2 more weeks after that before broadcasting my cover crop and spraying with gly.

I've read on other threads there are herbicides effective against it that don't have the soil residual effects of 24d Amine. I think the Ester formation has less but I don't know about relative effectiveness of it or non-24d herbicides that address it.

Thanks,

Jack

Buckdeer1 is having success with Interline. I pay my kids 5 cents for each plant they pull.

Buckdeer1 is having success with Interline. I pay my kids 5 cents for each plant they pull.

I'd go broke doing that.

Think you are right. We do not normally have it that is why I did not know. What kills it?

Dicamba or a hotter dose of gly. I have no problems with marestail here with gly, but I always use a high rate when I spray.