What is this pest on my apple tree?

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
Can anyone tell me what this is? The nest appears to be full of some sort of small caterpillar looking creatures. It’s on an upper branch of one of my crab apple trees?

90107FCD-94D1-4757-B120-4669A1EA8353.jpeg

Thanks!

Something that needs dealing with or just let them be?
They can defoliate a young fruit tree. I don't allow them to exist in my apple trees. Either open up the nest and allow birds to eat them, or better yet soak the nest with insecticide early in the morning when all the caterpillars are still in the webbing. If you're anti insecticide you could use bt which is a naturally occurring bacteria and is considered organic

Thanks Homer.

Can anyone tell me what this is? The nest appears to be full of some sort of small caterpillar looking creatures. It’s on an upper branch of one of my crab apple trees?

View attachment 43353
I get them every year in my choke cherry trees...

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_7899.jpg

When using BT, use all of it up within 24 hours after you mix it.

IMG_7900.jpg

Anything with Carbaryl will also kill tent caterpillars.

IMG_3229.jpg

I also found permethrin kills them as well.

I also found permethrin kills them as well.
Wow! You treat em with the expensive stuff! You really need to soak those nests so I give em the cheap stuff. Of course....some folks like going out In style - maybe Tentworms do too :emoji_sunglasses:

Wow! You treat em with the expensive stuff! You really need to soak those nests so I give em the cheap stuff. Of course....some folks like going out In style - maybe Tentworms do too :emoji_sunglasses:

I just always have a spray bottle next to my shop door for ticks. So if and when I find a nest of them, I already have some mixed up, and in a hand spray bottle. A couple squirts on the nest is all it takes.

I usually just nip the branch off and burn it if it’s not removing to much of tree.

Use malathion to spray the nests. Yoy can also spray the egg casings in the winter.

I look for the egg sacks when pruning. A Google search will give you images of them. Any I find are pruned off and burned. Then I inspect for the webbed nests right around last frost date, again pruning and burning any I find. I found 2 of each this year, then noticed some leaves were being eaten. Expanded my search outside of the orchard and found a nest on a serviceberry bush. I couldn't cut and remove that one, so mixed up some Seven and sprayed them. I'll continue watching my trees for damage. As the caterpillars get larger they travel farther.