What is this on my apple trees

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
What is this, and what can I do to fix it?

It’s a 2 year old Fireside

D208FF7B-3DF4-4F5C-AB6D-7D4E040F437E.jpeg
61F7877D-62D1-43AB-A26A-8E46AFCB500C.jpeg
C7602242-1153-49DD-840F-36D12F5468DC.jpeg

That was my thought. It is about 3 feet off the ground, which was snow level.

What side of tree

The first picture is me standing on the west of the tree, second picture is me standing on the south of the tree, third picture is me standing on the east side of the tree.

I also think it is sunscald. In light cases you may only see it on the southwest side of the tree, but in severe cases it may be visible on all sides.

Sometimes you will get lucky and get healing. To prevent it, shade the southwest side of the tree in winter.

Do you guys have any hot tips for shading in the winter?

Do you guys have any hot tips for shading in the winter?

Anything that stops the sun from hitting the lower tree trunk will work. Even tall grass or weeds on the outside of the cage will work. On the last few trees I set, I went a little overboard and started using metal flashing (aluminum). I bought a roll of it and cut off pieces to attach to the cage on the southwest side. A little expensive but will last forever.

Paint the central leader with white latex paint mixed 50% with water.

Every year I paint the SW side of my apple trunks with the 50/50 white latex paint and water mix. I use a small hand sprayer so I can put the sprayer wand inside the tree cages without having to open them up.

I lost a lot of trees to SW injury before I knew it was a thing. Since painting the trunks, I don't think I've lost a tree to that.

Learning as I go as we most do on here. Last few trees I would stake the tree, but put the sake on the SW corner of the tree.

Sandbur has a nice method, he uses half tree tube as a shield.

The tree is blooming, but who knows how long it will last. I will probably pull the blooms off of it to not stress it more.

Yesterday I drove around my orchard, most of my trees were in full bloom, this morning 30 degrees.

Sandbur has a nice method, he uses half tree tube as a shield.
0E618C92-5DBE-4CCB-A9A9-94DF833A0546.jpeg
I use these on seedlings or on new bench grafts that are directly planted in their final location. After 1-3 years depending on growth, I switch to aluminum window screen and fold it over with several layers on the s and SW side. Use the latex paint/water mix above and brushed over the window screen.

I have about 25 plus of these contraptions to give away if someone wants to pick them up in central Minnesota. Some will need new zip ties. Others are ready to be used.

They could also be used for red osier, hybrid poplar, or willow cuttings during the first year. I keep the open side to the north.

View attachment 54975
I use these on seedlings or on new bench grafts that are directly planted in their final location. After 1-3 years depending on growth, I switch to aluminum window screen and fold it over with several layers on the s and SW side. Use the latex paint/water mix above and brushed over the window screen.

I have about 25 plus of these contraptions to give away if someone wants to pick them up in central Minnesota. Some will need new zip ties. Others are ready to be used.

They could also be used for red osier, hybrid poplar, or willow cuttings during the first year. I keep the open side to the north.
E2FBB9B0-4D47-405E-AAAF-972100DA0095.jpeg

Every year I paint the SW side of my apple trunks with the 50/50 white latex paint and water mix. I use a small hand sprayer so I can put the sprayer wand inside the tree cages without having to open them up.

I lost a lot of trees to SW injury before I knew it was a thing. Since painting the trunks, I don't think I've lost a tree to that.
Do you use a hand pump chemical sprayer for this?

Do you use a hand pump chemical sprayer for this?
I’m curious about this too, what kind of sprayer is used?

I have used a paint brush