What Companies Provide Pollinator (grass & flowers) Seeds?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
What companies provide seeds for wildflower and native grass seeds?

Looking for possible mixes and individual seeds.

What companies provide seeds for wildflower and native grass seeds?

Looking for possible mixes and individual seeds.
I think roundstone is the best, but by far most expensive. I’ve had good luck with this company.

About half the price. I frostseeded some yesterday. High quality seed.

I order some special seeds like blazingstar and add to the mixes.

Also had good luck here.

Check out your state mixes. Their basic deer and turkey habitat mix is reasonably priced and has a good seed mix.

Pro tip. Buy mixes that are imazapic tolerant. Look at round stone plateau tolerant mix and then just buy mixes with same seed.

Switchgrass is not imazapic tolerant. BUT call roundstone and tell them you want 25lbs of Tusca switchgrass. It was bred at miss state to be imazapic tolerant. Then just add about 3lbs of it to the imazapic tolerant mixes of grasses and forbs you bought from other two places I sent.

Burn ground with gly 3 weeks before planting. Then at planting spray gly again mixed with 4oz/acre of imazapic.

You’re welcome!

Ernst Seed Co. out of Pa. ------- no affiliation, but I've bought seed there. MANY seed mixes for just about any situation, soil, or climate. Also can buy individual seed varieties. They have a massive amount of info on their website. You can read and shop for hours!!

Millborn Seeds is the company I used in SE MN. If you go to their website you can find mixes designed for each region. If you call them and give them their soil types I believe they'll recommend different flowers as well.

Prairie Moon Nursery and American Meadows are a couple of good ones.

Ditto: American Meadows

bill

I’ll second Ernst also.

Good thread. Couple great sources I have never seen before.

Native American Seed Seedsource.com I haven't used them yet, but they were recommended to me by a couple people for another project I'm working on.

I’ve used them too. Good stuff. I like their pond/dam edge mix.
That's exactly what I'm working on. I have some stormwater retention ponds that have been mowed right to the water edge, and they are having erosion issues.

That's exactly what I'm working on. I have some stormwater retention ponds that have been mowed right to the water edge, and they are having erosion issues.
Good luck with your project. These suggested seed companies will have seed mixes to help with your wet areas.

I started a habitat business a year ago now and can offer seed mixes and individual species. I'd love the chance to work with you on the project!

I started a habitat business a year ago now and can offer seed mixes and individual species. I'd love the chance to work with you on the project!
That’s cool my man. I will hit you up next one I do. I’m always planting some native grasses and forbs.

I’ll second Prairie Moon Nursery. Great selection.

I’ve used Ohio Prairie Nursery with good results. They made up a custom mix for our damp ground and it’s grown well.

I've done a lot of research into individual seed that is native to my area, and I sourced out the cheapest prices per seed amongst about 5-6 places.

I can send you my file if you'd like. It's composed for NW MN, but could provide some value. It's in excel and has bloom color, bloom period, height, wet/dry conditions, price per oz, and the cheapest place. Trust me, I spent HOURS compiling this list, but it was a great way to learn something I was incredibly green at. To the point I could pinpoint joe pye weed the first time this summer, without ever actually knowing it was a plant before. I also thought dogbane was swamp milkweed up until last June. It's a fun journey. Some of the primary seed sources I used are below, in case you don't care to receive my file.

WIth monarchs hitting endangered species list, and my daughters growing up in the country, and my interests shifting into more geriatric interests, I've felt it imperative to do my part in making my little space a safe haven for pollinators. I've got common milkweed everywhere, but would like to expand it to take over all my early successsional areas, along wtih introducing natives back to the landscape.

If you want to share your goals, I'd be more than happy to nerd out and provide anything I've learned the last 6 months. If you got wetlands, definitely consider great angelica(super cheap) as it's a host for black swallowtails(not sure if we even have them), and definitely add joe pye/ironweed/swamp milkweed for summer nectar, and asters/goldenrods for fall. It's way more fun going out looking for natural things vs just checking on food plots. I've found michigan lily and northern blue flag iris as well in our lowland areas. Beautiful species!

link to websites below

Chesak seed house (bismarck ND) -- by far the cheapest seed for wildflowers. new england aster there is only like $12/oz!
Prairie moon (winona mn) -- best selection of avaialble seed. good prices
Prairie nursery (westfield wi) -- more expensive but great website for pictures and info
Shooting star (spring grove mn) -- probably the best priced NWG
prairie restoration (princeton mn) -- best price for blue grama BY FAR
star seed (nebraska i think?) -- best price for butterfly milkweed
prairie seed farms (somewhere iowa) -- website doesn't refelct prices, need to email for price list
stock seed (nebraska)