What’s bugging my fruit trees?

Bill

Administrator
Apple or pear I didn’t read the tag. There are about 6 in a row that look like this. Asking more out of curiosity. They need to sink or swim on their own. I’m not around enough to baby them.

The trunk looks dark in the pic but that’s just the shadow. Bark looks good.

B9CBF9F3-08C6-4AF0-9C08-2A77C90985B1.jpeg56EF472E-05F6-4264-847C-33C3861A0022.jpegD60BDC96-FD8A-4686-A69A-D577CFA86DB0.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to hear others. And I agree, im not around enough to baby them

Apple. It looks like bug damage. Some evidence of Scab in your photos.

I do not know what critter causes it but my trees occasionally get hit with that issue also. I don’t recall it causing lasting harm.

Well the holes chewed through the leaves are from bug damage, either worms like tent worms or beetles like, chafers or Japanese beetles.
But, that did not cause the leaves to turn brown. Leaves dying means stress (drought) or damage to roots or damage to the bark below (girtling).
You can SAY you're not going to baby them, but if you don't while they are young you might as well not plant them at all, or plant 10 times as many as you want to live.

Well the holes chewed through the leaves are from bug damage, either worms like tent worms or beetles like, chafers or Japanese beetles.
But, that did not cause the leaves to turn brown. Leaves dying means stress (drought) or damage to roots or damage to the bark below (girtling).
You can SAY you're not going to baby them, but if you don't while they are young you might as well not plant them at all, or plant 10 times as many as you want to live.

Not here enough to baby them. I keep planting a few every year. If I loose these it will be the first ones. I know loosing some is coming eventually.

Fertilize and mulch them when you can. Give them a fighting chance!

Fertilize and mulch them when you can. Give them a fighting chance!

They have weed block and mulch. I’ll get a few 5 gallon buckets of water to them. Thankfully we had some rain this morning and the temps dropped out of the 90’s.

Turkey Creek said they're showing signs of scab. Are those trees scab-resistant varieties?? Liberty, Freedom, Galarina, Enterprise are good scab-resistant varieties. So are some crab varieties - Turkey Creek can probably fill you in on some of those. I agree bugs of some sort chewed the holes in the leaves. Good luck with them.

Beetles, come in July. They Pretty much stay for the month and leave by the end of the month. Well, in most parts of the country. Some harm was done but otherwise, leave the central leader intact, and that leader is most important when you are not close by on young trees.