All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weston Orchard + New Glarus Brewery

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Thanks a ton to Badgerfowl for texting me the other night when this was airing on PBS i was able to catch most of it. I see they have the whole episode posted on Vimeo.

http://wisconsinfoodie.com/

Some nice interviews with Ken Weston, talk about cider making and just more talk about apples!

Great show. Thanks for sharing that with us Matt.

Thanks a ton to Badgerfowl for texting me the other night when this was airing on PBS i was able to catch most of it. I see they have the whole episode posted on Vimeo.

http://wisconsinfoodie.com/

Some nice interviews with Ken Weston, talk about cider making and just more talk about apples!

fantastic, thanks!

Apples, Beer, what’s not to like. Every trip I make to WI I always bring back some Spotted Cow.

I do the same, Jwill....only thing good to come out of WI :D. Very cool segment and loved seeing those big old trees. Thanks for sharing!

If you ever make it to southeastern Wisconsin you should stop by. It's a beautiful orchard with all the ancient trees. I took a bunch of pictures there a few years ago when the orchard was full bloom.

IMG_0300.CR2.jpg

IMG_0330.CR2.jpg

IMG_0387.CR2.jpg

What kind of distance would you say between those mature trees Ed?

That's a great question Stu. My guess is 20' between trees AND between rows by looking back at these photos. I think they look pretty tight, but most of these trees do not have big, huge canopy's either. I know when I attended the pruning class last year, the guy who taught the class was from Washington state and spent over 30 years pruning in commercial orchards. He has been involved with pruning at Westons. He said when he got to weston's probably 5-10 years ago it was an overgrown mess and the trees really had to be thinned out. They had lots of problem with disease, probably due to lack of air flow. Which would make sense if they are planted too close.

Next time I am over there I will try and pace off a few of these old giants and report back.

Well it just goes to show I guess for us deer managers who want to plant lots of trees on big roots like B.118 that it can be done. You can pack them in tight if you are limited on room but you better be prepared to be aggressive on the pruning to keep the trees in check to allow plenty of light and air movement. If you are lazy or dont have time to manage your apple trees, you should give them plenty of space to do their own thing as well as be prepared for mediocre crops and disease resistance is more important than ever.

I have been shooting for 25 or more when possible. But now i've got so many trees coming out of my @$$ i might need to pack them in like sardines. Good problem to have I guess. :)

Ed, do they have multiple trees of all the different varieties in the orchard, I am assuming they must in case one got taken out by wind or lightning?

Ed, do they have multiple trees of all the different varieties in the orchard, I am assuming they must in case one got taken out by wind or lightning?

I don't have a good answer for that. I'm sure they have multiple of some.... But maybe not all?

I'm surprised you didn't visit while the trees were dormant and snip a few scions when no one was looking Ed. :)

I'm surprised you didn't visit while the trees were dormant and snip a few scions when no one was looking Ed. :)

They offer free scions at the grafting class every year, you just submit your requests when you sign up. I also know a guy who helps out there that have offered to help get wood if I needed something, however he's proven to be not the most reliable, for the most part i just get stuff at the class it's easier.

You can snip all the scions you want during the pruning class, but none of the trees are tagged or labeled so you better be ok with surprises.