Went down a rabbit hole some of y’all might be interested in.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
I’ve been looking at the miss state forage trials. They compare lots of varieties of grains and clovers yearly. It’s cool to see all the new varieties.

You can order most online, and an example is Trical 1144 triticale. It’s 28$ for 50lbs. That’s generally 8-10 dollars more expensive than the “old faithfuls.” However, the yield is twice as high. So it kind of washes out.

Anyways. Cool stuff. Other universities do this too in different climates.

Cereal grains are about my favorite things to grow. I also think they've got the most to unlock in terms of future potential.

Cereal grains are about my favorite things to grow. I also think they've got the most to unlock in terms of future potential.
What do you mean by future potential?

Also, do you have any threads on this forum or other resources for people looking into incorporating more small grains?

What do you mean by future potential?

Also, do you have any threads on this forum or other resources for people looking into incorporating more small grains?
I think we've only begun to scratch the surface on how to use cereal grains. I think there's more that can be done on biomass, quality of forage, weed suppression, soil holding capacity, input reduction, polycropping, etc. The varieties seem to exist now to enable us to do more, but we haven't figured out how to apply them. I'm gonna plant rye into my established white clover as the snow is melting in the spring. This is about my last best idea to try to hold onto a clover plot without having to kill it and restart every 'x' number of years.

I don't have any threads on cereals here. I don't have much to show just yet. I've got a couple different triticales on my place now. Won't have much to report back until June or so.

I think we've only begun to scratch the surface on how to use cereal grains. I think there's more that can be done on biomass, quality of forage, weed suppression, soil holding capacity, input reduction, polycropping, etc. The varieties seem to exist now to enable us to do more, but we haven't figured out how to apply them. I'm gonna plant rye into my established white clover as the snow is melting in the spring. This is about my last best idea to try to hold onto a clover plot without having to kill it and restart every 'x' number of years.

I don't have any threads on cereals here. I don't have much to show just yet. I've got a couple different triticales on my place now. Won't have much to report back until June or so.
Good stuff my man.

In these trials they plant in three different parts of the state. There are trends on how all the grains do in one part compared to the other. But what’s funny is one brand might do well on one part, and be average in the other. Climates, microclimates, and soils make such a huge difference, even over relatively small distances apart