Weed Killer Around Young Apple Trees

You can protect small spruce to spray around them with Gly with some duct pipe and a stick...

View attachment 42950

Doing the grass elimination using gly like above and a guard to help spray for the first couple yrs makes a difference very noticable even 10 -15 yrs later. I did it with just a tall narrow plastic wastebasket with a short stick also on spruce with hundreds. Mostly the outer rows by fence lines and key blocks of future cover. Couldn't do them all, too many but definitely worth the trouble

Getting rid of heavy grass is key. You will likely get a flush of broadleaf weeds maybe end of yr 1 or more so yr 2 but they are minor in detracting growth like heavy sod.

Good thread. I’ve always been too nervous to spray roundup around trees for fear of accidents and I was always too cheap to use clethodim due to the higher cost, so I always relied on weed mats. I’m going to try both chemicals this year and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had an issue with Gly, sprayed it for years around young and old trees.... will be doing it again around a couple hundred fruit trees here soon enough.... the weeds/grass have just exploded in growth up here in the last day or so.

Just checking, are we still on the spray gly around apple trees, without concern? I have about 20 trees that need weed mats, and rock around them, and I was going to spray around them once things green up, then add the weed barrier and rocks.