Weed in Brassica

Jayber

5 year old buck +
Can anything be sprayed on brassica to eliminate this weed (whatever it is?) as well as other broadleaves?
a0d0b065474bff6b6294d27625b467ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The weed is lambsquarters.

I know what I would do if it wasn't an extremely big plot. I would let it get above the brassicas and just before the seed became viable, I would take my hedge trimmer attachment on my weed eater and take the top out of it just above the brassicas. I can do a 1/2 acre plot in 53 minutes and it's better exercise than running a 10K.

PS: Deer eats that stuff at some places but not here - and it gets 4 feet tall or more on my place.

I don't think you'll find an easy remedy. Some of the sugar beet chemical would probably get it, but it is cost prohibitive. You could kill it with a rope wick when it gets taller than the brassica.

It’s a summer annual, right? As small as it is now, it will have a hard time making seed in Wisconsin before the freeze gets it. I’d be inclined to let it ride unless it overtops the brassicas or flowers, and clip it if it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a summer annual, right? As small as it is now, it will have a hard time making seed in Wisconsin before the freeze gets it. I’d be inclined to let it ride unless it overtops the brassicas or flowers, and clip it if it does.

Yes, a summer annual. If it emerges early in the year, the seed production process is relatively slow and it generally doesn't set seed until late summer. However, late emerging plants can reach the reproductive stage in as little as 6 weeks. Another interesting thing about this plant is how long seed can remain viable in the soil. It has been documented germinating after 40+ years.

I don't have a feel for Wisconsin weather, but I bet it will manage to make some seed unless clipped at some point.

There are no herbicides that I’m aware of for controlling broadleafs in brassicas.

I have a lot of lambsquarters growing in my soybeans and the deer here are utilizing it heavily..they prefer the bigger 3-4 ft plants..I held off spraying waiting to see some seed heads.

Research the use of aminopyralid herbicides. I haven't come across anyone trying it yet on their brassica plots, but from what I've read, it may be an option.

Deer brows my lambsquarter quite a bit.

Thanks guys! I tried a weed identifier app and it said lambsquarters, but their pic didn't look quite like mine. Technology........good for some things.

Anyway, I didn't think there was anything to spray and not affect the brassica. I'll keep an eye on things and maybe cut the tops off as they get taller/mature. I've got a good scissors clippers that might work better than my electric string whipper.

Thanks again!!!

As small as it is now, it will have a hard time making seed in Wisconsin before the freeze gets it. I’d be inclined to let it ride unless it overtops the brassicas or flowers, and clip it if it does.

It must be acclimated to your area to produce seed or I doubt it would be there unless you introduced it from bad seed. And it seems to me that even small plants can make seed.
I have it on my place and it isn't out of control. I've never seen any evidence of browsing on the stuff here, but we hear it all the time...what deer prefer in one area, they ignore in another area. Even areas that are only a few miles apart.

Deer browse it some here. In my small plot I just pull them when they start to produce seed, then drop it in place to return the nutrients back to my soil.

Now that would be sweet!

Stihl makes these where you change the attachments. One motor and shaft with many attachments - weedeater, brush blade, hedge trimmer, pole saw...….

Now that would be sweet!

Stihl makes these where you change the attachments. One motor and shaft with many attachments - weedeater, brush blade, hedge trimmer, pole saw...….
Oh, I've seen them...... just not ready to buy. Next power tool will likely be a chainsaw addition/replacement. I'd get way more use out of it.