Watershield removal

Worm

Yearling... With promise
I have a 1 1/4 pond that watershield is starting to take over. I have been watching it for several years and have just ignored it , but now feel that I need to start taking control .
Ive done a few online searches etc . but looking for some trusted advice .
Im wondering how the mechanical tools ( weed cutters and weed rakes ) compare to some of the herbicides . i get so nervous about using herbicides in the pond . ive read that you should only treat a small percentage of the pond at once to prevent oxygen depletion and fish kill.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

I have a 1 1/4 pond that watershield is starting to take over. I have been watching it for several years and have just ignored it , but now feel that I need to start taking control .
Ive done a few online searches etc . but looking for some trusted advice .
Im wondering how the mechanical tools ( weed cutters and weed rakes ) compare to some of the herbicides . i get so nervous about using herbicides in the pond . ive read that you should only treat a small percentage of the pond at once to prevent oxygen depletion and fish kill.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

I had an issue with water primrose a couple of years back. I used rodeo which is aquatic round up. It took two years to completely eliminate it. I would spray about 1/4 pond a month to prevent having the decaying plants use up all the oxygen. From a brief online search looks like rodeo will control water shield as well. I also spray around the edges and get plenty of spray in the pond a couple times a year to prevent having to weed eat. No Ill affects and have been doing it for five years. I can’t speak to the other herbicides but have had zero issues with rodeo. Just make sure you add plenty of surfactant due to the waxy nature of aquatic plants and it doesn’t contain any. I think the one i use is called plexmate and I have gotten it at rural king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Booner 21 , I appreciate the advice

We have the weed cutter that has what look like 3ft razor blades on them, along with the floating rake. They work great but it is a lot of work. I'm not familiar with watershield, but we have tinfoil. It is thick and heavy. We have been using aquacide pellets that have worked pretty well.

Thanks Booner 21 , I appreciate the advice
Hey Booner
Im looking at aquatic surfactants . By chance do you remember what surfactant that you used ?
Thanks again !

Contact The Pond Guys

Thanks for all of the advice and comments . Im used to spraying food plots but I just get a little nervous about the pond and all of the critters that live in and around it .
Ive considered the weed cutter and rake as well as some of the herbicides that you guys have suggested . Ive got to do something soon though .

Hey Booner
Im looking at aquatic surfactants . By chance do you remember what surfactant that you used ?
Thanks again !

Plexmate got it locally at rural king or tractor supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Booner
I was reading about that earlier . Think I am going with Rodeo and and plexmate . We are getting some fairly hot weather so Im going to just do a 1/4 or 1/5 of the pond at a time . We have a tractor supply about 30 minutes away . I think that I keep them in business sometimes LOL ).