Water Catchment

kc22

Yearling... With promise
Between watering young apple trees and keeping water holes full during a drought, I’m getting sick of hauling water to my hunting land. No running water, no well, no reliable ponds/creeks for a trash pump.

Thinking of running a gutter system on my shipping container but what else have you all done to catch and store water in remote areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking off gutter on a building?

I guess in my case it would be catching water without a building, other than my shipping container/shed.

Between watering young apple trees and keeping water holes full during a drought, I’m getting sick of hauling water to my hunting land. No running water, no well, no reliable ponds/creeks for a trash pump.

Thinking of running a gutter system on my shipping container but what else have you all done to catch and store water in remote areas?

Simplest solution would be to quit watering trees. I know that's not the point, but if they cannot make it on mulch and a weed mat, it may be too much hassel to continue. I've had to face the hard reality that I'll never grow corn, beans, or apple trees at my place because of bears. If you really want to go for it, look for a low spot, rent an excavator for a day, and dig a water hole. It may work, it may not.

I did just that. Put gutters on my pole barn, set up to run into a 330 gallon tank. Fills up with 1 inch of rain. Have a pump connected to batteries powered by solar panels. More pressure than my faucet at home.

0904D68C-B051-465D-B1D5-960BA0D9F7E4.jpegC6E8CDA3-6A80-4739-8908-0BAF4E028853.jpeg

Yes I’d say catch rainwater or have a pond put in but not all areas can hold water if the soil is too porous, sandy gravel soil is probably a bust unless you use a liner or have clay trucked that maybe cost prohibitive and money better spent having a well put in which would up the property value probably more than a small pond would.

Find a used koi pond and dig it in, it would serve two purposes…collect water for you to use and supply water for different wildlife for years.

Most trees only really need watering that first year, use lots of mulch at the start to help retain any moisture.