Water Buffalo

Those are sure heavy duty enough to last forever,mount a generator with a bottom suction sump pump and a garden hose and you have running water.I set up drip system using a tote and 2 pumps and could water a row of 25 cedars at a time

I have been using one of them 300 gallon totes on a snowmobile trailer. But it would be awesome to have one of them!

Last summer I used a 325gl poly tank in my truck bed pretty tough on the clutch. I’ll pull this tank with my tractor.

Whats your plan to water the trees. Remote valve from the seat of the tractor? Flooding ground. Hole in a container for each tree. Make a line trench?

Just have one of my boys walk next to the tank and control the hose and valve. A remote controlled valve would be slick I could pretty easily do that may need to put some more thought into that idea. Only issue with remote control would be hitting the right spot for each tree consistently so as not to waste half the tank of water.

Last edited:
You can get a wireless 12v switch at most farm stores and you could rig up a 12v valve.Another option is to take a piece of plastic pipe and make it to swivel so that when you let it down and it's below valve level water comes out and when you pull up with a rope it will stop once above valve level.I would use a generator for a pump and just shut off valve but iof you do that you would have to hose that kept pumping back into the pump as a bypass.You could hook up a 12v pump to your tail light and just turn off and on with light switch,I do this on 4wheeler or PU with trailer light plug.Do you have buckets at each tree

I do not fool with buckets I’d need 800 of them.

Are they tubed

When I planted I had used tubes but I didn't water those,I water fruit trees.How are you planning on keeping water around the trees instead of just running off

I do not fool with buckets I’d need 800 of them.
youre gonna need a bigger buffalo..............

My hunting lease in the adirondacks. I do not visit it much in the summer horse, black, and dog flies drive you insane. I don't have a ton of trees up there, plenty of red dogwood in wet areas though and a experiment of cageless asain plum. See if the horseshoe rabbits destroy them or not.. At my 8 acre home this year I got 25 poplar 25 blue spruce 10 white pine and 25 wild apple. Likely have 25 toringo crabapple shoot I am potting too. Got a 80 gallon tank with a 1 inch hose with a valve on the end of the hose.

Are they tubed
Yes tubed 5’ treepro some have 1/2” rebar others have 3/8” rebar and 3x3 Dewitt weed mats

I only watered I think 3 times last summer on the first 150 I got in the ground hope for another good year like last for this batch of trees I’m putting in. Two years ago was a drought year and thank heavens I didn’t have any big planting’s going in that year it would of been very tough on young trees.

When I planted I had used tubes but I didn't water those,I water fruit trees.How are you planning on keeping water around the trees instead of just running off
I don’t have really terrible trouble with my soil running off the water but the weed mats may help with that some idk for sure. Last year we had one person drive the other walked next to the truck dropping probably 2-3 gallons on each tree I think I had a 1 1/2” hose may have been 2” for a about a 5-10 sec count per tree was about what we aimed for.

That looks great. Where did you find that beast and how much did it cost?

Guy had it on Craigslist. I gave $1500 a little more than I wanted but what are you going to do. I looked at a new poly tank and they where $650 this is a double walled insulated stainless tank on a trailer. Figured a poly tank might last 10-15 years this one should outlast me. I may also use it for our maple syrup operation at some point down the road in retirement.

Very cool!

I would like to have that this summer. I'm going to get some type of poly tank to put in the back of the truck, then fill it from the pond to water new orchard and BHS this year.

Very cool!

I would like to have that this summer. I'm going to get some type of poly tank to put in the back of the truck, then fill it from the pond to water new orchard and BHS this year.
That’s pretty much what I did last year it was rough on my pickup transmission for 150 trees. I’m at about 550 trees in the ground this spring so I wanted something for the tractor to pull that hasn’t had herbicide in it so my 200 gallon spray rig wasn’t what I wanted to water with.

I bought this old 300 gallon spray rig last summer for $350. I still have to plumb it for watering trees and filling water holes…..which I have no idea how to do yet . Anybody have tips or ideas for me?

Last summer I used a 300 gallon IBC tote on my pallet forks. It worked fine but I hated the stress on the machine.

Attachments

• 6DE040EF-9B2D-4A19-AF42-4F4070456094.jpeg
    6DE040EF-9B2D-4A19-AF42-4F4070456094.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 11
Not sure how many trees you need to water, but you could plumb this to the tank to automate it.

They have a 1 inch one for $40 on there. Kinda thniking 1.5 inch would do better for watering trees while you drive by.

I'd also fill the tank up and leave it filled to leach out anything leftover in there in the pklastic.