wasps in apples

hillrunner

5 year old buck +
How do I get rid of these things? I have about a dozen apple trees around my yard, and I get almost no apples from them. Every year, the wasps destroy the apple crop. I have tried sprays in the past with no luck. I have 4 or 5 different types of apple tree and they get them all.0914141157.jpg
This photo is from 2014, I bet we haven't eaten more than a dozen apples in the 10 years since.

Saw your post, then saw the pic. Wasps can be a good thing. They eat insecrs. Yellow jackets you have, whole other story. look up yellow jacket traps. They can be made frm soda bottles. Likely the soda would be a good lure to put in the trap too.

Ever tried a systemic isecticide, like imidan. Stuff is nasty to work with though. They have some version of this chemical you pour around the root system. Do you recall when they started bothering your apples? If so, put a reminder on your phone for a week or two before for next year. Certain isecticides have very little residual.

When I had more mature apples trees, I picked a battle with 2 or 3 trees. That seemd to work well for me. About 3 years ago, I torn down my mature trees and only have 2 or 3 left. Got plenty of little guys to replace them now.

Aphids chew on the leaves leaving juice called honeydew. Both wasp and ants go after the honeydew. While the wasps are attacking the fruit, killing aphids can help cut down the interest in the trees to begin with.

Not sue if later maturing apples are a better bet to protect than others. Pretty sure the yellow jackets like apples that are close to ripe.

IF trying the traps, I suggest you put a trap near a water source. The yellow jackets always find a water source. OR eliminating a water source nearby can make the situation better, it that is possible. At home, the yellow jackets love filled watering cans and the cat's water bowl.

Saw your post, then saw the pic. Wasps can be a good thing. They eat insecrs. Yellow jackets you have, whole other story. look up yellow jacket traps. They can be made frm soda bottles. Likely the soda would be a good lure to put in the trap too.

Ever tried a systemic isecticide, like imidan. Stuff is nasty to work with though. They have some version of this chemical you pour around the root system. Do you recall when they started bothering your apples? If so, put a reminder on your phone for a week or two before for next year. Certain isecticides have very little residual.

When I had more mature apples trees, I picked a battle with 2 or 3 trees. That seemd to work well for me. About 3 years ago, I torn down my mature trees and only have 2 or 3 left. Got plenty of little guys to replace them now.

Aphids chew on the leaves leaving juice called honeydew. Both wasp and ants go after the honeydew. While the wasps are attacking the fruit, killing aphids can help cut down the interest in the trees to begin with.

Not sue if later maturing apples are a better bet to protect than others. Pretty sure the yellow jackets like apples that are close to ripe.

IF trying the traps, I suggest you put a trap near a water source. The yellow jackets always find a water source. OR eliminating a water source nearby can make the situation better, it that is possible. At home, the yellow jackets love filled watering cans and the cat's water bowl.
I wish I knew ever they were right now. They show up as the apples start to ripen. That picture is from Sept 2014, but I have honey crisp apples that ripen sooner than the apples in that picture.
I think I'll spend some time looking for the nest this year and try to eradicate them there rather than on the tree.
Thanks!

Once I get past the June drop, I put Organza bags over the good fruit that will be people food. That keeps the yellow jackets off them, and the birds from pecking my Honey crisp just as they start turning red.

Deer apples I leave be as they don't care about how pretty their apples are.