Washburn county Wisconsin deer farm - CWD

If the Wisconsin DATCP had a lick of sense they would have banned those Petri dishes decades ago.

I am in Washburn county. This happened about 10 years ago in a neighboring county, and they shut down baiting, and added some other laws. They need to shut down the deer farms. I actually prefer no baiting, but it does t matter everyone did it anyhow.

Got a red deer and fallow deer meat farm down the road from me. Wonder if those guys get them too. It looked liked his operation didn't skip a beat when EHD outbreak came through 2 years ago.

Looks like the county south of me had a blip of it last year. This statement also said southern deer have developed immunity. Of course, this is different than CWD. But, shares a similar fate....

EHD has been around a long time and is an annual occurrence in the south. The deer have some immunities to it in the south because of the regularity in which it occurs. The northern deer don't see it as often and have a much higher mortality rate due to infrequent exposure.

Was bird hunting in the greater Bismarck area of ND a few years ago and walked several cattail sloughs that were dried up and littered with carcasses. Had one farmer tell us he found 400 dead deer on his property early that fall. Another farmer tell us he was fishing dead deer out of his stock tank in his yard about 100 feet from his house, daily.

Deer farms should be eradicated, IMO. They don't serve the purpose they once did and limited oversight/resources from govt agencies to police them has become almost non-existent.

They seem to be doing their damnedest to legislate them out of existence in MN now. I've always had a strong dislike for them, especially the antler breeders and "hunting" ones but even I felt a bit bad for some of the operations after reading about the new regs.

I struggle with these operations. I don't like them but I also hate to tell someone else how to make a living on their property. With CWD it does have an impact on the other hunters so that in itself somewhat negates the private property issue, but still.......

Screw em. Shut every one of them down. We get told all the time what we can and cannot do on our properties. This is no different. They are a net negative

Screw em. Shut every one of them down. We get told all the time what we can and cannot do on our properties. This is no different. They are a net negative

I look at folks farming for elk and bison meat and have little ill will towards them although I find the market for farmed elk and bison meat odd. Most of the people who buy it think they are buying something wild and natural but how is it any different from free range beef?

Agree that they are a net negative. Not just for CWD reasons but the genetic freak antler raising and selling penned hunts is one of the uglier things out there for hunting PR.