WARNING - Idiot Alert and Reminder for EVERYONE!

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I'm a Hunter Ed instructor and can't count how many times I've told students how to handle a misfire. With today's modern firearm ammunition, it almost never happens. That infrequency makes it easy to forget. I had a nice fat doe at 50 yards tonight. It is the second day of rifle season in my area. She presented a great shot position and I squeezed off the trigger. "POP" when the 30-.06. The deer bounded off at the pop. I carefully ejected the cartridge for examination. I still had a half hour of shooting time left, so I racked another cartridge but the action would not close.

It did not take me long to figure out that the bullet only moved a fraction of an inch down the barrel. However, if has move an inch or so, I probably would not have dawned on me what had happened. Had that been the case, very bad things would have happened!

Misfires don't happen often, but when something goes wrong, ALWAYS CHECK FOR OBSTRUCTION FIRST and think about the hunt later.

Thanks,

Jack

Good point---that could have been real bad.

Jack, thanks for the reminder. What did you feel in terms of recoil and how loud was it compared to a normal shot?

What brand ammo.

Jack, thanks for the reminder. What did you feel in terms of recoil and how loud was it compared to a normal shot?

It was Winchester Powermax Bonded 30-.06 ammo. There was no recoil. It was a soft pop that was not much louder than my .22 pellet gun. If you have ever used a muzzleloader and popped a cap over grass to verify the barrel was clear, you have heard the sound. If there was any powder in the cartridge, it was a very small amount. The pressure created was so little that the bullet moved down the barrel less than the length of the bullet itself. That is why I could not chamber a second load.

I knew immediately it was a misfire. I simply went brain dead, more focused on continuing my hunt than safety!

Thanks,

Jack

Wow. That had never happened to me before. Thank you for sharing this!

Wow. That had never happened to me before. Thank you for sharing this!

It is very rare with factory ammo, but very dangerous when it does happen. I found it more common when I was young and loading my own shotgun shells. On occasion, the powder bar would stick or something and little or no powder would end up in the shell and I would not notice it before going to the next stage and loading the wadding. With a shotgun, the pellets are not an issue as they just roll out of the barrel, but the plastic wadding can get lodged in the barrel causing an obstruction.

This was the first time it happened to me using factory loads, but a few others have told me it happened to them. I have a couple more near-horror stories that have happened to me personally along this line and have happened to others.

This first one is a personal story. I was muzzleloader hunting. I fired at a doe and the primer went off but the charge did not ignite. We were always taught to simply load another primer (or cap) and try again. In fact, one of the Hunter Education videos we use demonstrates that exact procedure. I did just like I was taught. I loaded another primer and attempted another shot! BIG MISTAKE! DON'T DO IT! (if you are using pellets rather than loose powder).

Fortunately, the charge did not ignite the second time either. When I got back to camp and tore down the muzzleloader, here is what I found. I had left the muzzleloader charged over night and had accidentally left it on my ATV in the shed rather than bringing it into my trailer. It was a damp rainy night and the pellets had absorbed moisture which is why the did not fire. The dangerous thing was that the first primer activation produced enough pressure to go through the holes in the center of the pellets and push the sabot and bullet several inches down the barrel. This created a significant air gap between the pellets and the projectile. Had the first primer activation dried out the pellets enough for them to ignite on the second attempt, there is a good chance the muzzleloader would have blown up in my face.

The next incident did not happen to me personally, but it is one we use as an example in hunter education classes because it happened to more than one other hunter. A man and his young son were rabbit hunting. Dad had his 12 gauge and the youngster had a 20 gauge. Partway through the day the boy got tired so dad volunteered to throw some of the kids ammo into one of his own vest pockets to lighten the kid's load. After a while they kicked up a rabbit and dad shot it. He reached into his vest pocket automatically and loaded another shell into his break action single shot. Later that day they kicked up another bunny. Dad shouldered his 12 gauge and "click"...He must have forgotten to reload, so he reaches into his pocket, grabs another shell and loads. That rabbit got away, but it wasn't long before the kicked up another. Dad shoulders his firearm and fires and it BLOWS UP IN HIS FACE! When he loaded after shooting the first rabbit, he had accidentally grabbed on of his kid's 20 gauge shells. When he closed the action, the shell slid down the barrel but did not make it passed the choke. He later loaded a 12 gauge shell behind it. A VERY dangerous situation.

While this is not a misfire situation, it is certainly a barrel blockage issue. Don't carry any ammo for a gun other than the one you are using.

Thanks,

Jack

Great reminder Jack!!! Thanks.

So you didn’t recognize that the misfired cartridge had no bullet? Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

So you didn’t recognize that the misfired cartridge had no bullet?

I did recognize that. The stupidity was that I assumed the bullet left the barrel and did not inspect it. It was just a brain dead moment. We all have those from time to time in the heat of the moment. Thus the warning. We all need to be reminded to keep safety procedures in the forefront of our minds.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep yep. I gotcha. Good reminder.

Thanks ! good reminder

Check the barrel on any misfire.