Vintage Virginia Apples

White Oak

5 year old buck +
Anyone ever heard of , or bought trees from this place ? https://vintagevirginiaapples.myshopify.com/ . There is an article in the new issue of Game & Fish magazine mentioning some of the varieties they have. $30.00 a tree is a little pricey, BUT they are only about a hour and a half above me , so drop times should be a match for me. $33.00 shipping to me isn't that bad...would cost more to drive there and back. I may have to try a few, they do offer discounts on 5 or more trees.

I bought 4-6 trees from them on MM111 2 or 3 years ago. A couple Dolgo and some Wickson. The trees were great quality and I was very impressed with them. I graft all my trees now or I would buy from them again if they had a variety I was looking for.

Pretty cool selection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone ever heard of , or bought trees from this place ? https://vintagevirginiaapples.myshopify.com/ . There is an article in the new issue of Game & Fish magazine mentioning some of the varieties they have. $30.00 a tree is a little pricey, BUT they are only about a hour and a half above me , so drop times should be a match for me. $33.00 shipping to me isn't that bad...would cost more to drive there and back. I may have to try a few, they do offer discounts on 5 or more trees.
Actually $30 pretty good price if they are old heritage antique apples.

For comparison, check out ... Trees of Antiquity

Actually $30 pretty good price if they are old heritage antique apples.

For comparison, check out ... Trees of Antiquity
You're probably right. I'm use to $23.95 for trees at Whitetail crabs . However are Yates and Arkansas black , Old heritage antique apples ? . They are selling them for $30 as well.

Last edited:
I like buying from reputable local growers whenever possible. Looking at their website, and based on Diesels’s experience, I would not hesitate to buy from these guys. You can save on shipping, they have a nice selection, and their prices seem reasonable for quality stock. They have some varieties I really wish Cummins carried; Ida Red and Dolgo are tempting me to pull out the charge card again!

Anyone know how tall the teees are from there? I’d love to buy some, but not sure I want to drop the $ if they are only 2-3’

You're probably right. I'm use to $23.95 for trees at Whitetail crabs . However are Yates and Arkansas black , Old heritage antique apples ? . They are selling them for $30 as well.
Yes, they are considered antique varieties. PS - My Yates just keeps getting better and better every year. Still dropping many apples every day even now.

Last edited:
Anyone know how tall the teees are from there? I’d love to buy some, but not sure I want to drop the $ if they are only 2-3’
I hear you...I'm interested as well, BUT not going to lie I look for the best deals and best quallity I can find for trees and ANYTHING I buy. Century Farm Orchids has most of the same Antique varitie trees at $21 a tree if you buy 1-4 , $19 5-9 trees 10-19 $17 a tree, but they are sold out. https://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/ I am very interested in yates as per conversations with Native Hunter

Yes. They are not far from my farm. They have been great to work with. I took a grafting class there and liked it so much, I took it a second time. We buy our eating apples there. I have not actually purchased trees from them, but I buy m111 rootstock from them and graft my own. I find it less expensive. I did a few experiments and they helped me out with that. They typically don't sell their crab apples because they press them for cider, but I wanted to experiment with growing apples on their own roots. They sold me a bag of mixed crab varieties and also gave me some pressing residual that has a lot of viable seed in it.

While I don't have experience buying trees from them, they have been great to work with!

Thanks,

Jack

Great….that was another rabbit hole.
I am such a sucker for awesome apples on M111.
And they had some red flesh…that is just not fair.

I am so weak.

The trees I received were as nice as any trees I have ever bought. The only trees I have bought that were nicer were from ACN and some of the better grades from Cummins. They are not 2-3’ whips and were easily worth what they were charging IMO. I searched my emails and see I received mine in the spring of 2018 and they are some of the nicest trees I have in the ground from the 2017-2019 planting period. I went to crabapples for my apple tree plantings after that or would have bought more from them.

The trees I received were as nice as any trees I have ever bought. The only trees I have bought that were nicer were from ACN and some of the better grades from Cummins. They are not 2-3’ whips and were easily worth what they were charging IMO. I searched my emails and see I received mine in the spring of 2018 and they are some of the nicest trees I have in the ground from the 2017-2019 planting period. I went to crabapples for my apple tree plantings after that or would have bought more from them.
I sent Vintage Virginia Apples a Email a few days before I posted in this forum to fruit@albemarleciderworks.com as listed on their website. I Mentioned I saw the article about their trees in Game & Fish magazine . I asked a few questions about the drop times and best tree recommendations for my area for a deer hunting plot...BUT so far never got a reply...so much for customer service. I guess it's possible I could still get a reply but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've contacted the folks at Whitetail Crabs, Blue Hill, Century Farms , NativNurseries, The Wildlife group...and EVERY ONE of them replied back within 2-3 days at the most.

I sent Vintage Virginia Apples a Email a few days before I posted in this forum to fruit@albemarleciderworks.com as listed on their website. I Mentioned I saw the article about their trees in Game & Fish magazine . I asked a few questions about the drop times and best tree recommendations for my area for a deer hunting plot...BUT so far never got a reply...so much for customer service. I guess it's possible I could still get a reply but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've contacted the folks at Whitetail Crabs, Blue Hill, Century Farms , NativNurseries, The Wildlife group...and EVERY ONE of them replied back within 2-3 days at the most.
They are an orchard and cider works and know nothing about deer.. they do ship, but they are primarily a local orchard.
They do have vintage varieties.

They are an orchard and cider works and know nothing about deer.. they do ship, but they are primarily a local orchard.
They do have vintage varieties.
Really ? Thats funny because Chuck Shelton of the Shelton family that Owns Virginia Apple & Albemarle Ciderworls was interviewed for an article in The recent issue of Fish & Gane magazine , so he must know something.

Attachments

• img198.jpg
    img198.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 11
  • img199.jpg
    img199.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 11
It's a new and small market for them. I don't know about Chuck, but the staff knows a lot about apples, but not about deer. They are not like say, the wildlife group where the hunting community is the primary market.

My postings are just my experience with them, not an endorsement. They had the trees on the rootstock I was looking for at the time and I received what I ordered and was very happy with the trees I received. Those trees are growing great and are some of my better trees planted during those years. I know nothing more about them and have never tried to contact them. People can do what they want with that information when deciding where to spend their money.
There may be a legitimate reason for the delay in communication or it may be a deal breaker for you, all depends on what is important to you. One of the other nursery’s you listed and another popular one often cited on this forum are nursery’s that I would never spend a cent at due to things that are totally unacceptable to me, other guys love them. Good to have choices.

My postings are just my experience with them, not an endorsement. They had the trees on the rootstock I was looking for at the time and I received what I ordered and was very happy with the trees I received. Those trees are growing great and are some of my better trees planted during those years. I know nothing more about them and have never tried to contact them. People can do what they want with that information when deciding where to spend their money.
There may be a legitimate reason for the delay in communication or it may be a deal breaker for you, all depends on what is important to you. One of the other nursery’s you listed and another popular one often cited on this forum are nursery’s that I would never spend a cent at due to things that are totally unacceptable to me, other guys love them. Good to have choices.
Cool , I can probably sense where this is going when you mentioned rootstock. I'd almost bet you are tallking about Whitetail crabs and how they "wont tell what rootstock their trees are on" so you wont buy from them. However a year or so ago they did put on their old website " Our Cold Hardy Bud 118 Rootstock Budded for Spring 2022." so I guess thats what they use on all their trees . If I'm wrong I apologize. Out of the Nursery's I've listed I have only bought so far from Whitetail crabs, Blue Hill and Native Nurseries . Too early too tell on any of them....but out of the box I was most Impressed with the size and quick growth of my Whitetail Crab trees. My NativNurserie $5.99 Deer pear seedlings are quick growers too...8-9 feet in 3 years !, time will tell if they ever get any decent pears. Nothing negative to say about Blue Hill , they were only planted this spring....but they don't seem to be taking off like the others did ..Hopefully next year they take off

However a year or so ago they did put on their old website " Our Cold Hardy Bud 118 Rootstock Budded for Spring 2022." so I guess thats what they use on all their trees . If I'm wrong I apologize. Out of the Nursery's I've listed I have only bought so far from Whitetail crabs, Blue Hill and Native Nurseries . Too early too tell on any of them....but out of the box I was most Impressed with the size and quick growth of my Whitetail Crab trees. My NativNurserie $5.99 Deer pear seedlings are quick growers too...8-9 feet in 3 years !, time will tell if they ever get any decent pears. Nothing negative to say about Blue Hill , they were only planted this spring....but they don't seem to be taking off like the others did ..Hopefully next year they take off

Where did you see that on their website?

My Whitetail crabs/Northern whitetail crabs, have planted 55 of them, have done very well growth wise even on my sandy loam soils without fertilization. 100% survival rate going into year 4. Can't say that for Starks or other nursery's I have bought from.

This was my 1st year wit Bleu Hills so we will see how they do over this winter.

Last edited:
My Bluehill trees have been in the ground 2 years and are growing great with a 100% survival rate. I have about a dozen of his different original crabapple varieties. Ryan was incredibly helpful when I have talked with him and I would recommend his trees. Were some people a year or two ago that thought his prices were high for the trees they were getting and had a gripe with his shipping charges. He has since gotten the shipping charges down but it still rubbed some guys the wrong way. Everyone has something that is a peeve to them or a dealbreaker.

I have nothing against Whitetail crabs, I know lots of guys are super happy with the trees they put out. I personally refused to buy something where they refused to tell me what I was paying for but to a lot of people it wasn’t anything that bothered them. B118 is a rootstock that doesn’t do well for me so it probably was for the best. No worries, I just traded for some of their scion and grafted to the rootstock I wanted so I could be sure to get what I needed for my situation. One of the things I like best about this forum is it allows people to research different nurseries and apple varieties and decide which would be best for them.

I guess the thread got kind of sidetracked. Would like to hear about the quality of the trees guys receive from Vintage Virginia Apples this spring.