Very Different

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Had to share this.

Three blocks from my house in town a family just put a pond in their back yard...not a large shared community pond that a housing developer did.... a very little micro-pond. The house sits on about a third of an acre and the little pond is about 20'X40' and was deep enough we couldn’t see the little dozer they put it in with and now takes up his whole back yard. It is also maybe six feet from his house? At first blush I thought it was hilarious.
For whatever reason I am fascinated by this and so are many of the neighbors, it is an extremely uncommon thing to see here, in fact we have never seen anything like it here in town.
It is way cheaper than putting in a pool and circumvents the have to have a fence for safety thing pools here do. Maintenance is way simpler than a pool. Maybe he just always wanted a pond all his life?

I have a few questions in my head;
Is there a special permit for that?
Does he have a basement in his house?
Is he going to stock it?
Just why a micro-pond?
Pond is actually smaller than it looks in pic.

hYEQlJV.jpg

Had to share this.

Three blocks from my house in town a family just put a pond in their back yard...not a large shared community pond that a housing developer did.... a very little micro-pond. The house sits on about a third of an acre and the little pond is about 20'X40' and was deep enough we couldn’t see the little dozer they put it in with and now takes up his whole back yard. It is also maybe six feet from his house? At first blush I thought it was hilarious.
For whatever reason I am fascinated by this and so are many of the neighbors, it is an extremely uncommon thing to see here, in fact we have never seen anything like it here in town.
It is way cheaper than putting in a pool and circumvents the have to have a fence for safety thing pools here do. Maintenance is way simpler than a pool. Maybe he just always wanted a pond all his life?

I have a few questions in my head;
Is there a special permit for that?
Does he have a basement in his house?
Is he going to stock it?
Just why a micro-pond?
Pond is actually smaller than it looks in pic.

hYEQlJV.jpg

I doubt that is a pond ... I can see the robotic "pool" cleaner & hose in the center of the pic. Beach sand access center right.

I doubt that is a pond ... I can see the robotic "pool" cleaner & hose in the center of the pic. Beach sand access center right.

So what is it? The natural pool?

So what is it? The natural pool?

I have a friend who is a big pool designer/installer here in Wisconsin. They are called "swim ponds". Rapidly growing in popularity ... link below is not his company, but shows what folks are doing.

Swim Pond

There are lots of youtube videos on these. look for organic pond or swimming pond. They are lined. Pretty cool, but super expensive unless you can do the majority of work yourself. There is quite a bit of work involved to keep them up, including filters, skimmers and pumps and I'd love to have one stocked with native fish:emoji_relaxed:

^ beat me to it

We didn't see any liner going in it when it was put in, they did truck water into it within a couple days. I need to stop by and ask them about it.

Pretty cool. You don't have to worry about closing it and opening it. PLUS in Wisconsin you can probably ice skate on it in the winter.

Looks like they tiled the gutters into it, good idea.

I have a friend who took his above ground pool out and dug a little pond (in the back yard). Stocked it with fish, kept moss out of it, ran the guttering to it, built a dock, etc. He sat out there every evening to drink a beer and feed fish. Great setup!

Maybe his wife wanted a house on the lake and he's hoping this is good enough?