Updated pics- from overgrown vegetation to solid plots!

StickTime

5 year old buck +
9/1/2017 updated pics in last post

6/26/2017 Updated pics

5/31/2017 updated pics on pg two

One week ago I sprayed 3 acres with gly...
I used a 15 gallon atv sprayer with 3 oz of GLY per gallon (5 refills)
I also believe I sprayed heavier than necessary , making two or three passes in some sections.

The plots had been mowed in Feb and had about knee to thigh high regrowth
The plots had morning dew still
Pretty windy day, so they were dry by the time I was making the last pass.
it rained about 3 hours after application

Plot one, the sprayer was filled with softened water from the house
plots two and three I used filtered creek water since there is no other source at the farm so perhaps the water is hard and reduced the effectiveness on plots 2 and 3 but all three plots look like they were hardly touched (even the one with PH balanced water). maybe 25% of the taller plants are slightly wilted.
with nothing brown 8 days later. I'm pretty sure its a failed application at this point but could it be taking longer to show its effects dues to lots of rain, cool temps and higher growth?

I'm already a week behind and the plan was to drop buckwheat and lime on Sunday then mow my dead plots but now I fear I'll be doing all of that and then dropping another 1.5 gallons of gly after I mow it.
thoughts?

Last edited:
Give it time. Gly doesn't ever show the total kill as soon as I think it should. Just about the time that I think it failed, stuff starts dying.
What weeds were you trying to kill?
I think it was gallow that had a great thread on the old forum about gly failure due to water issues. Since I read that, I'm going to try to always add AMS, (and add it 1st) to the mix water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just ordered 3 jugs of liquid AMS, so I guess if By Sunday it doesn't appear to be dying I'll re-apply.

As far as the types of weeds, I'm not 100% sure on the types , but I know they were about 8 ft tall last summer. There is a ton of pigweed and briars (not blackberry)

I think pigweed is on the list of having resistance to gly?? I'm not sure about that. Maybe check on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

well...sheet. So heres the next question then, Do I scratch the GLY and torch everything with 2,4D? but then I cant put that BW in the ground until June!

How big we're the plots in total? You had just shy of 1.5 quarts of gly in15 gallons of water.
If the total acreage was 3 or less you "should" be good. On larger plants I would have went hotter with the gly. Pigweed can be gly resistant. It's parent plant would Need to have survived previous spraying Either in these plots or with seed introduced from somewhere else.

If you reapply gly don't mow first. The more surface area for the chemical to land on the better.

Keep in mind that while we talk about 2 quarts per acre as a "total kill" rate for gly, that is a nominal value. The best way to apply any herbicide is to follow the directions on the label. They are pretty detailed and complex. The amount really depends on the specifics of the weeds. Some require higher or lower application rates than the 2 qt/ac nominal rate. Some are unaffected by gly (natural resistance and/or developed resistance). In some cases you may need a combination of chemicals; gly and 24d as an example. Also, I'd be very careful spraying on a windy day. It is pretty easy to kill or damage things you don't want to kill with drift.

I would concur with others that my experience with gly is not a fast kill. It can take 2 weeks for me to be able to see small spots where I made a turn and missed become distinct from the rest of the field (green verses browning).

• Wait at least 2 weeks and take a look at the field
  • See what weeds are not effected
  • Calculate your application rate based on how much gly you added to your sprayer and how much acreage you covered
  • Check those weeds against the Gly label and make sure it is supposed to be effective at the rate applied.
  • If the recommended rate was higher than you applied for the particular weeds, spot spray them again with Gly.
  • If they are not covered by Gly, find the appropriate herbicide and follow those directions.
Thanks,

Jack

I'm dense. So, bear with me. I'm not sure of the total amount of water and gly you used over the entire three acres. You used 15 gallons of water and 45 oz of gly for each acre or for the entire 3 acres? And, what was the gly concentration before you added it to the finished spray solution? And did the generic (I assume) gly have a surfactant in it? Check the label. I found some cheap gly recently - and it had no surfactant.

Me, for the whole job I would have used 45 gallons of water, up to 6 quarts of 41% glyphosate w/surfactant. And your sprayer? Boom? Wand? Nozzles? Flat fan?

Like everyone else said, a week is hardly enough time to know how it's going to turn out.

45 gallons seems like a small amount of water for 3 acres but if spread equally over the three acres prob still will do the job....3 oz per gallon is correct mixture. I sprayed an acre and half last year and used prob 45 gallons at 3 oz per gallon.....i had a complete kill, BUT.....it took a full two weeks before it died off id give it some time before i called it a failure. ONE WEEK AFTER SPRAYING I THOUGHT I HAD FAILED..... but in the end it worked great.

sorry for not being clear, but I used three oz of GLY w/surfactant per gallon in a 15 gallon sprayer and I refilled it with that ratio 5 times to cover 3 acres total. ( if anything it would be less than 3 acres, they are not nices squares, they are long, oblong stretches)

The sprayer has two fan nozzles covers about a 6 ft path. I thought that was probably more than enough at the time.
I feel better after reading some of the posts here though. I think I'll check it mid week and see what kind of change there is after the temps hit 90 tomorrow.

after reading your up date above i betting your ok....give it another week.....if i recall three weeks after spraying mine looked like a bomb had went off .....seems i remember after week two it was really showing signs of beind dead and after week three was totally gone.

1 tank plus 5 refills, or 6 tanks .... x 15gal x 3 oz gly, divided by 3 acres = 2.8 qts per acre. Or, you applied 2.1 gallons of gly on 3 acres?

Even with hard creek water, dew, and rain three hours later .... you should have a decent kill in another week. How tall was the vegetation, more than a foot tall and and you may only get a partial kill, or it may take up to 3 weeks?

...45 gallons seems like a small amount of water for 3 acres ...

Less water is better! Even less than 15 gal!

https://www.pioneer.com/home/site/us/agronomy/glyphosate-optimum-performance/
Recommended spray volumes differ by glyphosate product label; minimum spray volumes range from 3 to 5 gallons per acre and maxima from 20 to 40. Research indicates that glyphosate performance improves with decreasing spray volume to rates as low as 2.5 gallons per acre (Ramsdale et al. 2003). Reduced spray volumes decrease the likelihood of antagonism with hard water and increase glyphosate concentration per droplet. Since foliar-applied herbicides move by simple diffusion, maintaining a high concentration gradient improves absorption. Ultra low carrier volumes may provide insufficient spray coverage in dense weed/crop canopies, however, and the orifice size of spray tips necessary for such volumes are easily plugged. Carrier volumes of 10 to 15 gallons per acre are probably a good range for sufficient performance under a diversity of field conditions.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=105918&DisplayType=flat

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-15_14-27-29.png
    upload_2017-5-15_14-27-29.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 18
tall weeds are going to be tough to kill, Are your nights warm?that is what i was told by some farmer friends that cool night night slow down how fast it kills.When applying 2-4-D I use same as ag 1day wait for every once applied

just a little of my experience, I had a plot that was 3.2 acres, and it would take me 3 tanks of a 40 gallon sprayer(16 ft boom on it and I think 8 nozzles) to kill grass and likes there that was a ft or less tall, and would take about 14 days for total kill of the site

having a knee or higher plot of ?? to kill< and a 2 nozzle sprayer??, I think that spells a LOT of room for missed spots from both spray width pattern and the fact SO much stuff is UNDER the weeds and such to make it to the ground on all things?

I would have mowed this site first, waited a few days and then sprayed, less material for chemical to travel thru plant to get into its root system
as taller the plant the MONGER it takes to kill it!, as more ground for things to travel thru on the plant!

Sometimes when you have knee high weeds or taller, it is tough to get good coverage and absorption on the most sensitive parts of the weed. One trick I've used in the past that worked well for me was to bushhog the field completely flat. I'd then wait 2 or 3 weeks for young tender herbaceous growth to spring up for the root systems of the weeds. I would then spray with gly. This seemed to give me the best kill.

Thanks,

Jack

Tall weeds? I agree....sorta'. I know many of you kill fields full of tall weeds with glyphosate (and a thread explaining the challenges and how you've overcome them might be valuable!). Neither glyphosate nor any herbicide is a miracle in a bottle. After a weed is 12 - 14 inches all bets are off. I learned early in my short ag application career to ask how tall the weeds were when someone wanted magic. I wouldn't do it until the field was mowed and the buyer was willing to accept the fact a second application would probably be necessary. Yoder said it very well above....

One week ago I sprayed 3 acres with gly...
I used a 15 gallon atv sprayer with 3 oz of GLY per gallon (5 refills)
I also believe I sprayed heavier than necessary , making two or three passes in some sections.

The plots had been mowed in Feb and had about knee to thigh high regrowth
The plots had morning dew still
Pretty windy day, so they were dry by the time I was making the last pass.
it rained about 3 hours after application

Plot one, the sprayer was filled with softened water from the house
plots two and three I used filtered creek water since there is no other source at the farm so perhaps the water is hard and reduced the effectiveness on plots 2 and 3 but all three plots look like they were hardly touched (even the one with PH balanced water). maybe 25% of the taller plants are slightly wilted.
with nothing brown 8 days later. I'm pretty sure its a failed application at this point but could it be taking longer to show its effects dues to lots of rain, cool temps and higher growth?

I'm already a week behind and the plan was to drop buckwheat and lime on Sunday then mow my dead plots but now I fear I'll be doing all of that and then dropping another 1.5 gallons of gly after I mow it.
thoughts?

One week ago huh ... I don't think mother nature works that fast.

Depending on the maturity of your plants, and temp conditions, in your area in VA I assume these plants are pretty hardy by now. Maybe if you are in colder valleys your growing season is slowed a bit, your are in 5a -8a which is well ahead of us all.

If you just mowed, and had rain there may be an issues with plant contact with the spray.

Gly at your rate of addition will only work on herbaceous and not woody stems. If you just sprayed, have a lot of biomass, and now want to plant, unless you are going to disc to get soild contact with seed, you will have problems.

Like others said, depending on the volume of surface contact with the plants you sprayed, and their maturity, gonna take some time for results ...

Thanks for the input fellas! I went back out and what a difference in just a few days of warm temps. It looks to be a good application after all. it looks like there were a few tall stalks of pigweed hanging on but I think it will have been a success overall, especially considering this is the first time this area has been mowed in a decade. I think I'll still use AMS in the future and perhaps a little less GLY. This will hopefully also be the last time its this tall with broad leave weeds. 0475C9A8E74F000045300002-attachment-1-image000000.jpg

this is the entrance to the plot, it dog-legs to the left and opens up for another quarter mile. Even though its as tall as my ATV here, I think everything is smoked, it just doesn't know it yet!

Yep, that looks cooked to me.