TV options

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I have a unique and frustrating situation. I had been running dish tailgater at an old place with no problems, but when I moved I’m having a hell of time. Cannot connect to satellites, connect change channels without losing satellites, zero consistency in where I position tailgater to find satellites. It’s beyond frustrating. Most of the time i sit on my phone and listen to music before going to bed at 8:30. I am in a wide open field with unobstructed views of the sky. But what is unique is I had a surveyor out the other day and we tried for an hour and half to lock in satellites. He said the longest he’d ever tried previously was 10 minutes! And what’s crazy is he said he was showing a ton of satellites in orbit too. So it’s something about my position. With that said I need another option. I don’t have internet here so streaming is out unfortunately. Wanted to see what some of y’all do. I’m not the best with tech but I wonder if there is a way to cast from your phone without wifi?
This is at my farm not house.

If you have an iphone you should be able to do it. I have unlimited service with my provider and I hook my iphone to the TV with a HDMI splitter and use the TUBI app on the phone to watch shows and movies.

Couldn't you just hook up a OTA antenna and watch the channels you pick up?

Did you try running a new cable from dish directly to box bypassing any wall outlets? Also double and triple check all mast settings and they do vary from area to area, not sure how far you moved.

Couldn't you just hook up a OTA antenna and watch the channels you pick up?

Not sure of the OP's situation but I bought a 80mi range antenna at Walmart for about $45. Right now I just have it up in the attic space but most of the time I can pull in all the channels (22) from the stations 50 miles away in Duluth, MN. Although I have discovered that having my LED ceiling lights on will cause some stations to cut out, lol. I'm more than satisfied with it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a unique and frustrating situation. I had been running dish tailgater at an old place with no problems, but when I moved I’m having a hell of time. Cannot connect to satellites, connect change channels without losing satellites, zero consistency in where I position tailgater to find satellites. It’s beyond frustrating. Most of the time i sit on my phone and listen to music before going to bed at 8:30. I am in a wide open field with unobstructed views of the sky. But what is unique is I had a surveyor out the other day and we tried for an hour and half to lock in satellites. He said the longest he’d ever tried previously was 10 minutes! And what’s crazy is he said he was showing a ton of satellites in orbit too. So it’s something about my position. With that said I need another option. I don’t have internet here so streaming is out unfortunately. Wanted to see what some of y’all do. I’m not the best with tech but I wonder if there is a way to cast from your phone without wifi?
Starlink internet and YouTube tv. Boom

I don't have any good answer for you, but I'm in the process of transition to a new place for retirement and my TV approach will be changing. I'm currently in the suburbs and had cable as an option but used Dish for many years as it was a little better value for me. IN those days, my internet was ISDN (not that anybody even knows what that is these days). Eventually the cable company offered internet so I switched from dish to cable. They priced it so a one contract with them for internet and one with dish for TV didn't make financial sense. Finally, FIOS came in and I went to that. I still have that at home.

At the retirement property, we are situated so I can pick up about 50 channels off broadcast with a good antenna (many are duplicate programming). We recently got fiber internet at the retirement property. We have an LG TV there. LG offers a bunch of free streaming channels and I can get Pluto with no signup. I'm not sure if LG shares data with them.

My wife likes sports and we don't get some of the sports she likes at the retirement property. Time will tell how we handle that in the long run.

But here is the part that might be relevant to you. I can watch any of my FIOS channels on my laptop. So when we are at the retirement property and she wants to watch a game, we use the laptop. I found I can cast my screen with no added software from Windows 10 to the LGTV. You need a bluetooth connection. Both are connected to the local router via wifi, so I presume the bluetooth is just for connection and handshaking and the streaming is done via wifi. At any rate, as I was setting this up, I saw there are instructions out there for casting from an android or iphone. I have not tried it and don't know what the quality is.

From my laptop, it is OK for sports, but not as good as broadcast. There is sometimes a little lag and slight smearing, but not bad. Definitely watchable.

Don't know if you have 5G in your area yet, but a lot of carriers offer it for home internet.

Thanks,

Jack

Guess I should’ve checked on this first, just got done talking to my neighbor up there and apparently we can get Wi-Fi through AT&T. Problem solved.

It’s been years since I had dish, but I thought it needed to connect to a phone line modem, for some billing purpose, idk.
up at our cabin, we connect the iPad (w/Verizon) to the tv with an Apple aux cord, lightning to HDMI.

I do radio work as part of my job. Communication links to remote areas. Far as TV goes, get up as high up as you can. You dish likely has an alignment issue.

Find out what channels are your best bet, and use one of these antennas.

Stellar labs fringe Vhf 2-13 channel antenna 30-2476.
for UHF stellar labs ‎30-2370

There are alot of small antenna that claim to be great that are amplified. But there no replacement for displacement, yagi antennas.

Are you using regular power, or a generator? Are you near a cell phone antenna site? Reception is about hearing the conversation.

You may need a 5G filter to get the loud cell service background noise down low.

Channelmaster makes a 50mhz hi pass filter for electrical noise.

Although NFPA wants one ground for everything at your home, having a separate ground take if you need grounding reduces noise significantly.

Ferrite chokes on DC power supply leads to most modern TV's helps too

Had very weak and intermitent recpetion at the cabin until I put that stellar labs VHF antenna on. Very strong and solid. Thought I would need a UHF antenna to get channel 16 thats is the same overall direction as channel 7, our tagret channel. IT atually recieves channel 16 very well, thats because chnnel 16 is about double the frequency of the 2-13 range one, so that 1/4 wave yagi is close to being a 1/2 wave dipole yagi.

FM reception...... Need a reciever with a coax connector, and use a yagi FM antenna.

Stellar labs 30-2460 would be an ok choice. Give the VHF TV antenna a shot.

A good reciever with speaker for the money is a sharp XLHF102B. I have a few sony recievers that you need to buy speakers fo, they work great too. Thei basic strdh190 model would be great. A reciever that can be switched to mono vs stereo is a great choice. Those TV pass through amplifiers should work for FM broadcast band too.

A little tip on dish network.

I do radio work as part of my job. Communication links to remote areas. Far as TV goes, get up as high up as you can. You dish likely has an alignment issue.

Find out what channels are your best bet, and use one of these antennas.

Stellar labs fringe Vhf 2-13 channel antenna 30-2476.
for UHF stellar labs ‎30-2370

There are alot of small antenna that claim to be great that are amplified. But there no replacement for displacement, yagi antennas.

Are you using regular power, or a generator? Are you near a cell phone antenna site? Reception is about hearing the conversation.

You may need a 5G filter to get the loud cell service background noise down low.

Channelmaster makes a 50mhz hi pass filter for electrical noise.

Although NFPA wants one ground for everything at your home, having a separate ground take if you need grounding reduces noise significantly.

Ferrite chokes on DC power supply leads to most modern TV's helps too

Had very weak and intermitent recpetion at the cabin until I put that stellar labs VHF antenna on. Very strong and solid. Thought I would need a UHF antenna to get channel 16 thats is the same overall direction as channel 7, our tagret channel. IT atually recieves channel 16 very well, thats because chnnel 16 is about double the frequency of the 2-13 range one, so that 1/4 wave yagi is close to being a 1/2 wave dipole yagi.

FM reception...... Need a reciever with a coax connector, and use a yagi FM antenna.

Stellar labs 30-2460 would be an ok choice. Give the VHF TV antenna a shot.

A good reciever with speaker for the money is a sharp XLHF102B. I have a few sony recievers that you need to buy speakers fo, they work great too. Thei basic strdh190 model would be great. A reciever that can be switched to mono vs stereo is a great choice. Those TV pass through amplifiers should work for FM broadcast band too.

A little tip on dish network.

Are there still VHF broadcasts? I thought everything was UHF now.

2-13 is VHF. Most radio signals are line of sight, however the lower the frequency, the better it goes through vegetation and obstacles. Get low enough and it can bounce through the upper atompshere.

Put my loction in, it said channel 7 is 40dbuV/m strength. They said I couldn't get 16 in my little valley where the cabin is. That stellar labs brought it up good n clear. Thats me roughing in the antenna aim. I dont watch TV up there, except maybe the weather. Im more of a Radio person. Usually my music on my phone I saved.

Last edited:
Yes, is there still TV broadcast there? There may well be.
It switched from analog to digital years ago. They did this, in part, to free up sections of frequency for other things to use. the FCC controls what devices can broadcast on what frequencies. Google RF chart, if you feel like getting more info, but it gets pretty crazy.

It switched from analog to digital years ago. They did this, in part, to free up sections of frequency for other things to use. the FCC controls what devices can broadcast on what frequencies. Google RF chart, if you feel like getting more info, but it gets pretty crazy.
Yes, I guess they kept the narrower band VHF channels for digital as well as UHF.

I moved out in the middle of nowhere. My cell phone had 1 bar, no tv channels, and built a steel house, so even radio signals were hard to pick up.

Since I bought a We-boost cell booster, and through ATT I got a Wi-Fi modem, but that is very dependent on the amount of people pulling off the tower. Weekdays I can get 50/5 mbps but on busy summer weekends, .2/.1 mbps, and it had a hard 25gb per month. Now I have Starlink, wow is all I can say, best internet by far that I have ever had, that even includes when I lived in town and had cable. Off peak I get 300/30, peak times I get 75/15.

I have also put a tall pole on top of my house, and installed some 100 mile antenna with a booster on that, and I get about 25 channels.

With the We-boost cell booster I go from having 1-2 bars outside, to full signal on my phone when in range of the booster.

We stream channels as well, but we don’t pay for any subscriptions. There are plenty of free streaming sites out there, plus I get HBO Max with my cell phone plan, Amazon prime channels from my Amazon account, I use to subscribe to Appletv but decided I didn’t watch it enough to pay the $3.99 per month.

I moved out in the middle of nowhere. My cell phone had 1 bar, no tv channels, and built a steel house, so even radio signals were hard to pick up.

Since I bought a We-boost cell booster, and through ATT I got a Wi-Fi modem, but that is very dependent on the amount of people pulling off the tower. Weekdays I can get 50/5 mbps but on busy summer weekends, .2/.1 mbps, and it had a hard 25gb per month. Now I have Starlink, wow is all I can say, best internet by far that I have ever had, that even includes when I lived in town and had cable. Off peak I get 300/30, peak times I get 75/15.

I have also put a tall pole on top of my house, and installed some 100 mile antenna with a booster on that, and I get about 25 channels.

With the We-boost cell booster I go from having 1-2 bars outside, to full signal on my phone when in range of the booster.

We stream channels as well, but we don’t pay for any subscriptions. There are plenty of free streaming sites out there, plus I get HBO Max with my cell phone plan, Amazon prime channels from my Amazon account, I use to subscribe to Appletv but decided I didn’t watch it enough to pay the $3.99 per month.
I like getting shit done off the grid. Good job.

I put a cell phone booster on my tractor. Really helps when I’m spending the day on it.

Yoder jack,

Going digital made 1 channel bandwidth now fit 4 in the same space. Really a matter of congestion of neighboring TV channels. The commerical radio bands in the UHF range went digital too. You can easily have 8 times the channels you used to without one transmiter recpetion range crossing over onto another. Military channels took over some lesser used bands or narrowed up some amateur bands. I think the maritime folks are due for some FCC cleanup.

In the near future, satellites are going to be much much less common. Space junk is accumulating up there. It's going to be a landslide effect there in 10 years or so. The more damage swirling around there, the easier it is to get the next one destroyed. Almost for sure in the near future, humans spending alot of time orbiting the earth will be off limits. We will be back to land based solutions for alot of our comunications and navigation needs.

Yoder jack,

Going digital made 1 channel bandwidth now fit 4 in the same space. Really a matter of congestion of neighboring TV channels. The commerical radio bands in the UHF range went digital too. You can easily have 8 times the channels you used to without one transmiter recpetion range crossing over onto another. Military channels took over some lesser used bands or narrowed up some amateur bands. I think the maritime folks are due for some FCC cleanup.

In the near future, satellites are going to be much much less common. Space junk is accumulating up there. It's going to be a landslide effect there in 10 years or so. The more damage swirling around there, the easier it is to get the next one destroyed. Almost for sure in the near future, humans spending alot of time orbiting the earth will be off limits. We will be back to land based solutions for alot of our comunications and navigation needs.
I really doubt space is going away for communications systems.

Elon Musk has been doing best to make space communications be a part of the immediate future.