Turning Point- Blue Hill

BrushyPines

5 year old buck +
Thinking about ordering some of these this year. Anyone have any experience with this tree? How is it with CAR? When is the drop time usually for your area? I'm in zone 7, north MS.

I am in Virginia zone 7 . My Turning point was only planted in 2021 so no fruit yet. Out of 5 Blue Hill Varity's the Turning Point has been my best grower with Whole season in 2 nd place..

Mine are 2 years old and have put on good growth. Have not really inspected disease that close, but have not noticed any issues.
Same here. I planted 8 trees from Blue Hill in 2021. I won't even really pay attention to them until year 5. Full size rootstock won't be the fastest growers. That said I think my biggest ones are probably pushing 8' and they all started out relatively small. 3' or so.

I have 2 Buckman, 2 Big Dog, 2 Turning Point, 1 Dolgo, and 1 Whitney from Blue Hill.

I know the mother tree. It is in a heavy car area and drops apples well into winter.
Yes, Ryan told me that the mother tree is surrounded by cedars and shows little sign of CAR. I was curious what others were experiencing in different areas.

I didnt even think to ask him what rootstock Turning Point was on. Anyone know? I was thinking I read somewhere on here that he grafted to Dolgo rootstock. Could be way off with that assumption though. Lol

I didnt even think to ask him what rootstock Turning Point was on. Anyone know? I was thinking I read somewhere on here that he grafted to Dolgo rootstock. Could be way off with that assumption though. Lol
Yes Dolgo

I know the mother tree. It is in a heavy car area and drops apples well into winter.
How is Chainsaw doing?

I was thinking the same thing about Chainsaw after reading this thread.

To the OP,
My Turning Point like others are only a couple yrs old. This tree is pretty new release from Blue Hill to public so not many others will have longer timeframes to report unless they got scion direct from Chainsaw.

Chainsaw, where you at brother? (Hulk Hogan voice)

I talked to Chainsaw this evening, and he is doing well...considering, although you won't see him write, it was great to hear his voice! I'm sure he will love seeing you guys asking him to write! Turning Point is in the direct vicinity of every apple tree disease in this country. Im not saying it doesn't get a touch of this or that, but it shows strong resistance to all significant apple tree diseases. This tree can produce heavily and annually from that standpoint/environment. I've known the original tree for a long time and have never seen it fail to fruit. That says something about the tree itself, and it's always the last tree to bloom. I'm speaking of the original tree in this video

I was fortunate to meet Dave (aka Chainsaw) from the original QDMA forum that spilled onto this forum, but he became one of my closest friends. Even as I write this, it's hard because he was someone I talked to daily, whether in an email, a phone call, or in person.

I've been there at the original tree to see other trees weeping with fire blight within yards of Turning Point, galls hanging from the cedars whit in 30 yards of Turning Point, apple scab heavily on close trees, and yet Turning Point just shining in the sun. It's a proven tree, I can assure you. One of the best apple/apple crab trees you will ever plant for wildlife.

A lot of time went into this tree. I write this not only for me but Dave also.

Ryan

Last edited:
I talked to Chainsaw this evening, and he is doing well...considering, although you won't see him write, it was great to hear his voice! I'm sure he will love seeing you guys asking him to write! Turning Point is in the direct vicinity of every apple tree disease in this country. Im not saying it doesn't get a touch of this or that, but it shows strong resistance to all significant apple tree diseases. The first one is that it can produce heavily and annually from that standpoint/environment. I've known the original tree for a long time and have never seen it fail to fruit. That says something about the tree itself, and it's always the last tree to bloom. I'm speaking of the original tree in this video

I was fortunate to meet Dave (aka Chainsaw) from the original QDMA forum that spilled onto this forum, but he became one of my closest friends. Even as I write this, it's hard because he was someone I talked to daily, whether in an email, a phone call, or in person.

I've been there at the original tree to see trees weeping with fire blight within yards of Turning Point, galls hanging from the cedars 30 yards away, apple scab heavily on close trees, and yet Turning Point just shining in the sun. It's a proven tree, I can assure you. One of the best apple/apple crab trees you will ever plant for wildlife.

Ryan

I'm glad to head that Dave is doing well considering his circumstances. I sure do miss his posting on the forum. As for Turning Point, I can safely say that it's growing very clean on my property. CAR can be really bad in this area, but Turning Point isn't showing any for me. Like most everyone else who has planted it, mine is still too young to fruit, but the vegetative growth has been excellent so far.

I put 10 different apple varieties in this year and Turning Point grew the best of all of them.

That tree in the video looks great!

I talked to Chainsaw this evening, and he is doing well...considering, although you won't see him write, it was great to hear his voice! I'm sure he will love seeing you guys asking him to write! Turning Point is in the direct vicinity of every apple tree disease in this country. Im not saying it doesn't get a touch of this or that, but it shows strong resistance to all significant apple tree diseases. This tree can produce heavily and annually from that standpoint/environment. I've known the original tree for a long time and have never seen it fail to fruit. That says something about the tree itself, and it's always the last tree to bloom. I'm speaking of the original tree in this video

I've been there at the original tree to see other trees weeping with fire blight within yards of Turning Point, galls hanging from the cedars whit in 30 yards of Turning Point, apple scab heavily on close trees, and yet Turning Point just shining in the sun. It's a proven tree, I can assure you. One of the best apple/apple crab trees you will ever plant for wildlife.

Ryan

Ryan thanks for sharing and giving us an update. Tell Chainsaw his presence here is missed and wish him the best.

Ryan
Ryan, thank you for the update. Did not know that about Chainsaw. I hope he is doing well. I will be praying for him and his family.

Ryan thanks for sharing and giving us an update. Tell Chainsaw his presence here is missed and wish him the best.
Will Do! Tree Spud!

Thinking about ordering some of these this year. Anyone have any experience with this tree? How is it with CAR? When is the drop time usually for your area? I'm in zone 7, north MS.
In Northern MS., You're looking at October into November, with maybe a few lingering into December, unless you are going into some elevation.

Curious on what others notice on Turning Point budding out. Seem fairly late timing compared to my wild apples and most crab seedlings. Trees are too young for any blooms but even pushing leaves is later then most. Probably a good thing for those yrs of late frosts. I am in zone 4b and just within last couple of days the Siberian crabs and chestnut crabs are peaking in blooming.

Mine seem a little later too.