Turkeys and crabs

Highwater

Yearling... With promise
For those who have planted small-fruited crabs in areas with high turkey populations, what’s been your experience? Do the turkeys clean you out before deer have a shot at the fruit? Right now I only have full-size apples. I want to plant some crabs but want to know what I’m getting into. Thanks

I have started planting Renteka crabs for turkeys. I dont have any fruit yet. So far what I have heard and seen the birds seem to leave them till winter. Not a crab, but if your looking for something besides crabs, consider highbush cranberry. I bought some years ago before I learned about caging trees. Deer and rabbits killed everyone. I gave a handful a friend that caged his. The turkeys actually land in themand scarf the berries late winter. I have started planting them again with cages.

I have a bunch of turkeys and crabapples in SE MN and they work well together. The turkeys will get some, but there will be plenty left for the deer. Some of the varieties of crabapples stick on the tree all year and are of no benefit to deer since they can't be reached. The turkeys will fly up to grab a few to eat and knock down other apples in the process.

Turkeys, pheasants and grouse will all eat small crabapples like red splendor crabapples, but the deer will as well. I think a variety of crabapples would be a good addition to a full size apple orchard whether you have a bunch of turkeys or not.

I have a bunch of turkeys and crabapples in SE MN and they work well together. The turkeys will get some, but there will be plenty left for the deer. Some of the varieties of crabapples stick on the tree all year and are of no benefit to deer since they can't be reached. The turkeys will fly up to grab a few to eat and knock down other apples in the process.

Turkeys, pheasants and grouse will all eat small crabapples like red splendor crabapples, but the deer will as well. I think a variety of crabapples would be a good addition to a full size apple orchard whether you have a bunch of turkeys or not.
I agree with this I’ve started planting more crab apples in my orchards just for diversity. In my experience with persistent crab apples the birds eat them all winter knocking bits and pieces to the ground that the deer clean up.

We've had smaller-fruited crabs for about 25 years at camp, and we have lots of turkeys. At our place, the turkeys leave the crab apples alone until winter. With acorns on the ground for several months, the turkeys are after those - not the crab apples. What b116757 said above in his last sentence is usually what we see, too. Deer will stand up on hind legs to eat what they can reach, but most of the fruit is too high for the deer to reach. Various songbirds, grouse, and turkeys will land in the crab trees to peck at the crab apples, and deer eat the scraps that drop.

A 2nd benefit of the crabs - they make great pollinating partners for "regular" apple trees.

Besides the renteka, any other suggestions for smaller fruited crabs?

I’m personally looking at Sugar Tyme and Red Jewel but for their winter color show as much their wildlife value. I’m sure there are others even better suited to wildlife.

Besides the renteka, any other suggestions for smaller fruited crabs?
Ben is a fan of red splendor. I had a hard time finding them. Prariefire is one that i have that holds into winter and birds/ and deer will eat. Songbirds will eat some but it throws out alot so there is plenty to get thru winter.

We have a Sugar Tyme in our back yard. Planted 3 years ago. It's highly rated for DR and the 1/2" red crab apples turn dark & hang through winter. Fall foliage is orange-ish yellow. No problems for us. I'd buy another one for sure.

The ones we have at camp are just seedlings from a Game Commission seedling sale.

Good info, thanks all.

IF your looking for small crabapples whitetail crabs has winter gold available. A dolgo, trailman, all winter hangover, or adirondack can be good small crab options too. Turey creek has a few dolgo and trailman left. Cranberry is another small one, but not sure how long they stay on the tree for.

Toringo crabapple can be an option too. They make very small berry sized crabapples.

I have an order of dolgo, american, and transcedent crabapple from willis orchards. The american crabapple grows in zone 5. They talk about its small size and how smaller game enjoys it.

Last edited: