All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSI Questions

You also have an opportunity to cut trails into it, and guide them where you would like them to travel. Whether they use your trails will be up to them. But honestly, as the deer get use to the new cover, they will use it more.

I'm with everyone else. Doesn't look like you did anything wrong there.

Here’s the only thing I see that is an error. LC and Jim B. Argued about this all the time, and after researching this thoroughly and after hinging thousands of trees, you want to make your cut perfectly level and flat in the direction it naturally wants to go, only as far into the tree as necessary, if you can. This allows the tree to keep itself supported, while you push it over. To Fell A Tree is a great book that describes this in detail and I would say read that for more info.

If you cut it at an angle like in the pictures, you are essentially making a “slide” for the top of the tree out of the stump, where all the weight is now resting, and the only thing holding all the weight of that tree is what you haven’t cut. If you look at that cut I circled, if you cut it flat and push it over, the top of the tree should stay attached to the “stump” at the cut level... (most of the time)... and fall predictably.

1dec13604a96c5ab4e8efe5570737a5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the only thing I see that is an error. LC and Jim B. Argued about this all the time, and after researching this thoroughly and after hinging thousands of trees, you want to make your cut perfectly level and flat in the direction it naturally wants to go, only as far into the tree as necessary, if you can. This allows the tree to keep itself supported, while you push it over. To Fell A Tree is a great book that describes this in detail and I would say read that for more info.

If you cut it at an angle like in the pictures, you are essentially making a “slide” for the top of the tree out of the stump, where all the weight is now resting, and the only thing holding all the weight of that tree is what you haven’t cut. If you look at that cut I circled, if you cut it flat and push it over, the top of the tree should stay attached to the “stump” at the cut level... (most of the time)... and fall predictably.

Good to know! I actually didn't do any of this cutting - it was hired done, but I have some hinging to do next summer, so I will keep that in mind.

Got a little drone footage this weekend. Sorry about having to tip the camera up once in a while - hard to tell where I was and how close I was getting to the property line without looking up on occasion.

That certainly isn't to heavy. Maybe a bit light in some areas